Menu
pannsoln
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is this an attempted scam?

I had a call from an 020 number (probably spoofed), claiming to be from Virgin Media wanting me to check my broadband speed.

I told him that I'm sure that Virgin Media already knows my speed. He persisted, anyway.

This is an attempted scam, right? I wanted to lead him on to find out what method he was going to try to use to scam me, but he disconnected when I said, "OK, I'll check my speed." I think that he realised that I was onto him.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
goslow
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is this an attempted scam?

You are correct that this was a scam call.

It is usually better not to speak to them at all and just hang up. Talking to them just encourages them that they might actually be convincing you that you have a problem and will only result in further calls.

pannsoln
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, @goslow.

Sometimes, when I'm not too busy, I keep them talking in order to reduce their available time to scam someone who might be vulnerable.

I'm wondering what the modus operandi is for these criminals, if perhaps they would try to sell me an "upgrade".

0 Kudos
goslow
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The typical routine is to convince the victim that they have a technical issue or that they are due a refund of some kind. The scammer requests remote access to the victim's device and, from there, to their online banking with the aim of stealing money by a variety of methods.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@pannsoln wrote:

Thank you, @goslow.

Sometimes, when I'm not too busy, I keep them talking in order to reduce their available time to scam someone who might be vulnerable.

The problem with talking to them is that your number is then marked as responsive & circulated to other scam operations resulting in your call count increasing. It is also not advisable to be rude or otherwise harass them, as these scammers have been known to clone the numbers of people that annoy them & spoof these when calling their victims, resulting in you getting irate calls for people thinking you are a scammer.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos