Menu
mikepattwood
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Is this a scam?

Had a call from 0208355xxxx saying there was a problem with my broadband which we would fix by downloading software from any desk.com. We checked internet speed on speed test.com which was 4.67 download and 16.3 upload but I refused to allow the anydesk access and hung up having told the caller this was a scam.

Was this the correct action? The caller had previously rung up last week but I did not progress past the initial conversation.

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case legit business number has been spoofed]

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is this a scam?

Yes, it is a scam the kind of which has been reported many times across this and other platforms.

Virgin Media's advice can be found here: fraudulent-calls 

The best policy is not to engage with such callers and doing so only confirms that they have called a valid number, which in turn increases its value for other scammers.

I never answer calls from numbers I do not know.  If they are genuine they will leave a message and can be rung back or the call picked up at that point.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks