Menu
bgtrack
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is this a scam?

Just received a call from 01554 681252, saying problem with broadband, router is going to shut down in 4 hours please contact to order new router!!

Sounds just too woolly!!

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is this a scam?

Yes, it's a scam which is mentioned regularly on the VM forums.

0 Kudos
mike25
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

We've had 10 of these calls today and a few yesterday. A number when straight to answerphone and did not leave a message.

The longest conversation I let the guy show me how many errors there were on my PC event log and then he took me through downloading some remote access software. A number of times I had to correct him as he accent was so bad. He told me my speed was bad - and I explained 450Mb is about right and when I refused to give him the access code the conversation got a bit "fruitier" at his end. He needed to be more emphatic with his "F"'s.

Other calls:

7:40 am - not awake yet - so thanks for that.
8:20 - still not awake but that reminds me to ring openreach.
9:20 I'm ringing from Virgin Media ... <No You're Not> ... <click>
9:40 - my internet speed - we don't have the "Internets" here - <click>
10:00 - please tell me what country you are from, I love your accent, do you need a work visa <click>

So keep vigilant out there 🙂

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you have been scammed. if you gave him access to your computer assume its compromised. Wipe the PC and reinstall
0 Kudos
mike25
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The software they are using is called AnyDesk - and it's a great bit of software. We use it every so often to get support from suppliers. And like all these programs you have to give access. 

Don't worry about me - I just wasted their time.

In general if someone access your computer using a program like AnyDesk then you do not need to wipe as everything they do is visible. Their next step would probably to take you to a website to download some more advanced software which would ask you for admin permissions ... and then you would have compromised the integrity of the system.

The general rule is that unless you have had 3 attempts at putting in your security code and had to listen to 10 minutes of naff music then it's not a genuine call.

0 Kudos