Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is this a scam

Today had a phone call about my internet account and a new hub would be sent out and we would receive compensation for these errors and i would have to send a security code from my bank statement that i use for virgin as they had convinced me to allow remote access to my computer 

I then thought  this is fishy and stopped  caught me off-guard i then did a restore of computer anyone heard of this 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is this a scam

@Nov75 wrote:

Today had a phone call about my internet account and a new hub would be sent out and we would receive compensation for these errors and i would have to send a security code from my bank statement that i use for virgin as they had convinced me to allow remote access to my computer 

I then thought  this is fishy and stopped  caught me off-guard i then did a restore of computer anyone heard of this 

YES.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Nov75 wrote:

If you have allowed someone unauthorised remote access to your computer, you should be taking some urgent remedial action to limit the potential for any damage they might be able to do. Refer to suggestions and links below from a similar recent post which might help for starters.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Phishing/m-p/4450502#M39428

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to read that you were a victim of a miscreant's scam.

When you say “restored” do you mean: (a) restored from backups or (b) used system restore?

From the point of allowing remote access did you access anything of value, for instance:

• online banking
  • other services of value
  • documents containing confidential information

When assessing what data might have been compromised on the device do not forget to consider networked storage as well.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi i did a system restore i was about to enter bank i/d and pasword then came to my senses and stopped in the meant time told the person on the phone i wasnt happy with giving my bank details to them she then put a guy on who said it was a three way call with offcom and to get the code from bank statments i then ended the call i had lack of sleep the night before and had a problem already with a forbidden 403 which i thought they where ringing about wasnt much on the computer as its a new one just setting it up Thanks
0 Kudos