cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam? Asked to download TeamViewer

klo
Joining in

Just had a call from someone claiming to be Virgin Media asking if still having problems with internet connection.  I said yes.  He then said that they detected illegal activity from our account but they knew it wasn't us and that our server is being used by criminals and thats why we are having problems.  I asked how could i be sure he was from Virgin - he then gave me the virgin phone number and his name - Jack.  He also said to download TeamViewer and he would show me what was happening on the account.  I then got nervous and suspected a scam.  The phone number "Jack" called from was 0163 7615142 which is an Indian number.

Can anyone from Virgin look into this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Yes it is a scam Virginmedia never ask you for remote access to your computer, that phone number is certainly not a Virginmedia one the number has been spoofed from a genuine one.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Yes it is a scam Virginmedia never ask you for remote access to your computer, that phone number is certainly not a Virginmedia one the number has been spoofed from a genuine one.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

tworrall
Joining in

Had a similar phone call this morning from 02071633436. Wanted me to go to teamviewer website. I said I didn't want to continue, at which point she said they would turn off my broadband and hung up.   

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
All scams. This scam has been around for ages. And because you have engaged with the scammers they will try and try again. VM will never contact you or any other customer like this with this kind of story.

Chellebon
Just joined
I had the same call just now from a caller who threatened to disconnect my Virgin Media service if I did not comply. I asked why they had not asked me to confirm that I was the account holder - I was advised " it's a recorded call madam, we cannot ask you for you personal or financial details". Strung them along for a while pretending to download TeamViewer etc, as soon as they told me they would disconnect me for not doing what they asked I knew it wasn't Virgin Media. When I asked them for the number so I could call back I was given 19609033, when I asked which country they were calling from - they hung up.

Hey @Chellebon,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post on our forums.

I'm really sorry to hear that you've had a scam call today, they are such a pain and really annoying to keep getting.

We do have some ways to help combat such calls and they can be found here.

Regards,

Steven_L