cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a genuine Virgin communication?

standisher
Tuning in

I received the following on 22/06. Is it genuine?

Hello,

Your Virgin Media Hub is the access point to your home network and all the gadgets you use, so it needs proper protection against the growing capabilities of hackers.

Unfortunately, in the face of more skilled hackers, the default WiFi passwords on our Super Hub 1, Super Hub 2 and Super Hub 2ac are no longer as strong as they need to be.

The best way to improve the security of your Hub and WiFi network is to set a stronger password than the default password it came with.

Strengthen your Hub’s WiFi password today

The best passwords are a mix of uppercase, lowercase, numbers and symbols. Ideally, it’ll be 12 or more characters in length, and won’t use any real words.

As an example, ‘Password’ is weak and easy to break. But ‘v!rGiNM3d1A1’ or ‘Z89_!3b2aa43’ are much harder for hackers to crack.

For more help changing your password, use our step-by-step guide 

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@standisher wrote:

Thanks for your reply but that link relates to a query in 2017. I was hoping for something a little more up to date.

Genuine, see this more recent post.

Ignore replies 4 and 5.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/E-mail-22-6-21/m-p/4755427#M43973

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Forum Team advisory from the archives:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Virgin-Media-WiFi-Security/m-p/3457050 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for your reply but that link relates to a query in 2017. I was hoping for something a little more up to date.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@standisher wrote:

Genuine, see this more recent post.

Ignore replies 4 and 5.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/E-mail-22-6-21/m-p/4755427#M43973

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs