Menu
dockerdavies
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Is this a fake email

I have received an email from this address. Does nyone know if this is genuine or not ?

Thankyou

virginmedia.em@email.com

We are contacting you with important information regarding your Virgin Media account. Our IT security department have identified some fraudulent attempts to your account.We have been made aware that your account may have been accessed by someone else. In order to help protect you, please sign in to My Virgin Media and provide your most recent billing details.Sign in now 

If this is not completed we will be forced to temporary suspend your account for further verification, to avoid being used for fraudulent purpose.

Thank you for your understanding as we work together to protect your account.Kind regards,
The Virgin Media team

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is this a fake email

Hello

That isn't from a virginmedia email and is spam see the top post on https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/bd-p/Internet_Security which will give you the latest news on phishing emails.

Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Looks fake, email.com is not virgin media, it is probably spoofed, email.com is a mail.com alias  but obviously a fake virgin email not from a virgin media address. 

I was getting general spam From hollywoodbowl.co.uk in February but instead of my ntlworld address they were addressed TO another viginmedia.com address (not in my name) so they may be blind copied to me, recently started again in April  with the same wrong TO address but the sender has switched the from address to btn-trading, latest one today.

If I  verify the email TO address it comes up as BAD so not genuine , also the FROM address verifies as BAD

The btn-trading server named duvbo which is unknown and could be a north American server never heard of it.

the hollywoodbowl server is named as it's ip address, very unusual server  in romania

Subject are health, bitcoin, etc could be malicious? Unusual they are not addressed to my email ntlworld.com

look at the source code option and it can help identify fake emails.these email may be dangerous do not click/open etc.

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello dockerdavies

Thanks for taking the time to make us aware of the recent correspondence you have received.

As previously advised this hasn't come from us, if you still have the email could you forward it to the details here virg.in/reportspam our team can investigate this further.

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos