Menu
maz894
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Is my neighbour stealing my broadband?

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if the cable connection outside is ever shared with neighbours, as mine has recently been connected with my neightbour. I am suspicious as they have their own outlet coming out the ground, but they have t'd off of my connection.

I cant get throught to the service desk to ask, so thought id try here.

Thanks in advance.

Mario

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is my neighbour stealing my broadband?

Sometimes the connection can be made in that way if one of the adjoining cables has a fault and is not serviceable. AIUI, it is meant to be a temporary workaround arrangement until the faulty cable can be repaired but past posts on the forums suggest they sometimes remain in place for a long time. Should not be an issue unless you think you have any particular reasons to worry about it.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Unlike BT wiring, Virgin’s connections do not go separately back to an exchange. Cable Broadband works on a radio frequency system, so signals from all customers are combined into one cable anyway at the cabinet. It is the job of your hub to sort out what data is yours & what is everyone else’s.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

maz894
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your replies.

My suspicions starts a few months ago when we were away for the weekend. We came home and the broadband was not working. So an engineer came out and told me my router was disconnected (from outside) and the neighbours house was now connected. Albeit with a white cable which is not a virgin standard cable. The engineer disconnected their cable and reconnected mine. 

I then caught my neighbour reconnecting it himself, I questioned him and he said the virgin engineer did this and had no answer for the white non virgin stand cable. He left as is, until late in the evening where he then tapped strait in to his own ground outlet. A few days later, a black cable (not entire length either) was used and reconnected to my outlet. 

I can't get through to virgin to send someone out or to check their systems if my neighbour is actually a virgin customer.

Not sure what to do. My bb has been super slow in the evenings when they get home from work.

Thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like an unusual situation/neighbour!

Your neighbour should not be connecting/disconnecting any cables in the external boxes, especially if you are both sharing a supply cable at present. The neighbour somehow stealing the service does not seem likely since the VM equipment needs to be registered/activated against a particular account in order to receive a VM service.

Wait for one of the VM forum team to pick up this topic and offer further comment on your situation. They may be able to check the signal levels to your router to see if there is any issue from that POV. They can take up to a week to reply to posts on the forum.

0 Kudos
maz894
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Great, thanks for your reply. I will wait for virgin to respond.

We weren't sharing a connection until I noticed the neighbour (or someone) disconnected my connection outside, from this point it was then shared.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, you've got nothing to worry about, this is common practice in some areas, however the Virgin engineer that visited your neighbor was obviously unaware of the situation, there needs to be a splitter put in the brown box on neighbors side so you both can connect.

The neighbor will not gain anything by connecting to this cable unless the have Virgin Broadband Hub and Account of their own, as mentioned above the Virgin network is shared so the only difference here is your connecting with your neighbors cable at the house level rather than down the street.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@goslow wrote:

Sounds like an unusual situation/neighbour!

Your neighbour should not be connecting/disconnecting any cables in the external boxes,

Not if your my neighbor, I used to be changing things around in my house so much at one time.

Being in the know isn't always a bad thing.

Problem is Virgin should be making sure drop cables are tagged specially in these circumstances to stop cables being taken out of service when a customer is active, however this happens in a lot of places due to limited capacity in the local cabs

refer to this image showing split connections:

Over-connected cabOver-connected cab

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
maz894
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks to all that responded, you have put my mind at ease. I guess having the connection at the house or at the boxes doesn't make a difference and is down to space. 

I guess the neighbour can't steal my Internet without a valid login for his router.

Thanks everyone

Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Theft is impossible but one cable has been split to serve two properties which leads to signal loss that can cause problems.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection