Menu
DifferentLogin
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is This A Genuine VM Email?

Screenshot of email received today.  It looks suspicious because since when did VM ever give stuff away?  Unfortunately, VM don't have an email address for sending suspect emails to.  So could anyone give an opinion as regards to its authenticity? Thanks.

VM Email 160920.jpg

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is This A Genuine VM Email?

@DifferentLogin wrote:

Screenshot of email received today.  It looks suspicious because since when did VM ever give stuff away?  Unfortunately, VM don't have an email address for sending suspect emails to.  So could anyone give an opinion as regards to its authenticity? Thanks.

They do. https://www.virginmedia.com/help/what-is-phishing

• Do not click the link, instead visit virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia and sign in to check the status of your account
  • Forward the suspicious email to our dedicated mailbox: phishing@virginmedia.com
  • Mark the phishing email as spam from your email account
  • Finally, make sure you delete the email
  • If you then receive a ‘Spam Content Found’ message from us, then we’re already aware of the email and have taken steps to ensure it is blocked on our Virgin Media Mail platform
  • If you’re using a third-party email service such as Outlook.com or Gmail, you may still receive these emails. Please contact your mail provider for help in blocking these emails.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The fact that it's addressed to a user xxx@ziggo.nl (I presume that's not you), and it has come from an address clearly shown as @syerra.aborallu.org.uk (which was only created 55 days ago and is hosted in Bulgaria - which makes a nice change from Russia I suppose), might be a bit of a clue!

DifferentLogin
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Sololobo,

I've forwarded the email to VM.

The instructions say 'delete the email'.  I've not done that.

If there is a freebie on offer, I'll keep the email until I receive a response from VM. 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@DifferentLogin wrote:

Thanks, Sololobo,

I've forwarded the email to VM.

The instructions say 'delete the email'.  I've not done that.

If there is a freebie on offer, I'll keep the email until I receive a response from VM. 

Rest assured that there is no freebie on offer from VM.  The email is a clear scam.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

'No such thing as a free lunch.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
teabag
Hero
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There are loads coming through at the moment

Screenshot_20200917-123331.png

Screenshot_20200917-123317.png

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've had one supposed to be from 'Morrisons, and one from 'Gillette, and the one from 'Virgin media' so far, all from the same original address, despite the headers stating 'morrisons', 'gillette' and 'virgin media'....

Have sent all 3 to VM phishing, and none have been rejected, so assume they have not been made aware of them yet??

Another spate of them, having suffered the '@umberd' ones a while ago....

0 Kudos