Menu
SteveMoores
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Is [REMOVED] a genuine VM number?

Hi

I logged a complaint and received text messages from this number. The person on the end of this number is asking me to confirm my Account Number, Full Name and are asking me if I'm the account holder.

We are always being told to protect our personal info. I logged the complaint online at which point I gave my contact details and confirmed that I was the account holder. Virgin need to put a better system in place so customers know for sure that it is their support team contacting them. Maybe an App with two step authentication??

Anyway, thats off topic.

Can anyone confirm that this number is a genuine VM number?

Thanks

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is [REMOVED] a genuine VM number?

Sorry about that, I asked the mod team (thumbs up to them) to take a look because that looked like what I supposed to be a VM staff member's work mobile.  

In the current circumstances, lots of VM staff are working from home, and there is a good chance you might get a call from a mobile about a VM issue.  In some respects, well done to VM for allowing this, but your point is 100% valid as to how customers can validate the call.

You are right to be wary about inbound calls (we're all sick and tired of "This is a call from your internet service provider...."), and VM need to give that some thought.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
SteveMoores
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Andruser

Thanks , and of course you riase a valid point re VM staff working from home and potentially giving out personal info.

Perhaps a moderator will be able to confirm the number?

Perhaps the service team could confirm on here that tey are trying to contact me? Perhaps they could send me an email?

There seems to be so many ways in which VM could contact me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kev_B
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi @SteveMoores 

I'm sorry you've needed to question the validity of communications you've had with us.

Any calls received from us should always now come from one of our 0345 numbers (0345 454 1111 for cable services & 0345 000 0789 for mobile services), even if the representative is working from home. Any text communications likewise should only come from one of our messaging numbers (07533 016422 or 07533 051809).

I'll send you a PM so we can get some details about the communications you've had, I'd like to double-check that these were genuine, and report to our IT teams if the numbers weren't displaying as they should. 

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
teabag
Hero
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Kev_B 

For the last few months while staff have been working from home, this Forum has had a lot of posts asking about being rung from mobile numbers - from all sides, Broadband, mobile, sales and retentions, your team have been advising it is right while they are working from home.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Kev_B
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@teabag an astute observation, thanks for asking 🙂 

I meant to say now all calls should come from one of our 0345 numbers.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules