Menu
colinjowitt2000
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

International calls

I am receiving lots of nuisance calls from 00190 and 00170 numbers, I don't answer them and they never leave a message. These numbers are apparently from Canada and Finland. I have tried to block individual numbers but numbers are slightly different. Is there any way to block all international calls to my virgin phone line.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: International calls

Both Canada and Finland have strong regulation and law enforcement, chances of spam calls from there are very low indeed.  More likely "number spoofing" by a scam call centre operating out of a low cost offshore location with poor enforcement.  For scammers, number spoofing is trivially easy.  This can even apply to UK numbers showing on the display - never assume an incoming call that you don't expect is from the number showing.

In terms of stopping this, VM offer only anonymous call rejection filter for (I believe) three quid month, so that won't help you.  Save that money and put it to a more effective tool such as the BT branded DECT phones that feature Truecall filtering (eg the BT4600), or the Panasonic call blocking DECT phones, eg the KX-TGJ420EB.  I think the Panasonic might have better options for blocking specific incoming caller ID strings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: International calls

@colinjowitt2000 wrote:

I am receiving lots of nuisance calls from 00190 and 00170 numbers, I don't answer them and they never leave a message. These numbers are apparently from Canada and Finland. I have tried to block individual numbers but numbers are slightly different. Is there any way to block all international calls to my virgin phone line.

You need third party equipment such as a call screening device or a phone with call screening features to be able to customise how incoming calls are handled.

Blocking individual numbers on your phone is of no use as the fake caller IDs, used by scam callers, change regularly. Chances are the fake numbers on your blocked list will never be used again to call you.

If your phone does have some number blocking capabilities, look in the phone manual to see if it can block number 'ranges'. Some models (such as from Panasonic) allow you to enter a number range prefix which will be blocked. If you have that feature, you could add 00190 or 00170 for example as a number range.

trueCall devices have comprehensive screening and blocking features and can be used in conjunction with a basic cordless phone setup (including a block on incoming international calls)

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

some BT phones have trueCall screening features built in but are not quite as comprehensive as the standalone device.

0 Kudos