Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Infected with Malware letter

Hi,

I've received a letter informing me that malicious traffic has been detected on my network, how can I get more information about this to track down the culprit?

We have multiple machines in the house which are all running up-to-date anti-virus/malware and have reported nothing during scans. 

There is nothing in the letter to indicate what type of malware it thinks I have, no dates and no IP addresses of target sites. Is it possible to get more information so I can at least Wireshark some traffic from our devices?

The reference in the letter is VMIS60-NETWORKATTACKS-F008010365

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Infected with Malware letter

Hello

You have all the information that can be gathered from your connection, the only IP VM can ever see is the WAN IP address it doesn't know what IP addresses you are using internally. The normal port would be 25.

We have a couple of people on here saying when speaking to a VM tech all they did was advise to change password.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Infected with Malware letter

Hi YellowDroid,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I can understand that this can be concerning. We do have a web page: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/malware-alert which provides more information on what steps you can take to secure your home network further.

I appreciate that you already have anti virus software installed on some of your devices, but it may be useful to look at the advice on the site which may help in locating the infected device.

Let me know if you need anything else from me,

Beth

0 Kudos