Menu
Steviemac1968
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Illegal activities

I got a automated phone call saying that my virgin Internet was going to be cut off because of illegal activities, is this for real or a scam ,is this actually from virgin. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Illegal activities

A pure 100% scam.  Just like the voice calls saying similar things, or "This Microsoft/ BT / VM support, there's a virus on your router, but we can sort it out if you just type a few things into your computer", or the email or web page messages "we've been watching you looking at naughty websites, and unless you pay a fee we'll blab it to your contacts", or "this is Amazon / Microsoft / McAffee etc we are about to take a direct debit for £558 to renew you subscription, press 1 to talk to a criminal...."

Email, text, voice....all of these scams are about creating a sense of doubt, fear and urgency for the victim, causing otherwise sensible people to do something that enables a bunch of crooks to hijack their identity and/or empty their bank account.  If it sounds worrying, then always treat it as attempted fraud.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks