Menu
JimFast
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

[IMPORTANT] Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a malware infection

Hi All,

This is the 3rd one i've received. I have my VM in modem mode connected to a Netgear Nighthawk router.

I've been through my home devices and found no malware. I have 6 devices on the network and have not been at home for any siginificant amount of time since the beginning of the lockdown in March. Wirelessly I have the VM Tivo box, Amazon Firestick (factory reset) and 2 Amazon Dots. Wired I have a Swann CCTV system which has been factory reset and the port forward removed (after the 2nd warning just in case) and also a Hive Hub.

The Nighthawk has been factory reset and firmware upgraded I also have the "armour security" activated on the Nighthawk. I have checked my external IP address and it does not appear on Spamhaus etc.

It was after the 2nd warning I started to factory reset my devices.

I'm honestly at my wits end please help 🙂

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: [IMPORTANT] Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a malware infection

Did they name the malware?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JimFast
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately not 😞

Your Virgin Media account number: *****

Our Reference: ******

Dear Mr ******

Please take action now: a device using your internet connection is infected with malware

We’ve now been alerted on three separate occasions that malicious traffic is coming from a device using your internet connection.

This suggests a device on your home network is being used to make unauthorised access attempts on other computer systems,and potentially participate in other kinds of online abuse.

It's important you get your device fixed so the malicious traffic is stopped as soon as possible. We’ll help you do this below.

We need to let you know that if you don’t get it fixed, to protect others we may need to suspend or cancel your broadband service in line with our Acceptable Use Policy.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Issue has been flagged to the forum team who are best placed to take this forward; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jimfast

I am sorry to hear this, you need to follow advice on the letter

Thanks

Zoie

0 Kudos
JimFast
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good evening Zoie,

Thank you for replying although I hope that another of the forum team comes along unless you could point out which particular part of the email advice I should follow?

Your "advice" is of no use to me, the email was utterly useless otherwise I would not have had to ask the experts.

I have explained everything that I have done to try and rectify the situation and asked for advice from the experts on this forum.

The email's advice was to raise the issue in here.

Cheers, Jim

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi JimFast, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your online security looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. I will need to gather some further information from you in a PM, which I will send to you now 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos