Menu
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I've been hacked on old ntlworld email I can't access

I no longer have a virgin media account so can't access the email account which has been hacked. They know the password and are sending me threatening blackmail emails. Can the account be deleted, or can I be given access to change the password?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: I've been hacked on old ntlworld email I can't access

@Anonymous wrote:

Can the account be deleted,

One of the Forum Team (VM employees) can certainly arrange to get the account deleted for you. Hopefully they will pick up on this thread in the next day or  two. They will contact you by posting here so keep an eye open,

or can I be given access to change the password?

Have you tried using the forgotten password option from the email sign in page? https://mail2.virginmedia.com/   Do not enter your email address, just click on the red "password" in "Forgotten email or password".

You will be asked to enter your username (email address) and the answer to your security question? If the answer is rejected try again by typing it in UPPER CASE.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

sounds like the classic fake emails. its not been hacked.

VM staff can delete the account they will contact you soon

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks coenoby. Virgin Media isn't recognising the username (I assume because I no longer have an account with them) so the forgotten password didn't work.

Hopefully I'll hear from them soon

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks apcyberax. They have sent me a threatening email from the ntlworld address and they've also taken over a Skype account that was associated with the ntlworld address as well.  Very worried about what they'll try next.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

it was not sent from your email account. You can send email from any address its called spoofing. You do not need access to your email account to send a email form that address

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That makes sense re: spoofing, but it does look like they have access to the inbox as they have managed to reopen the associated Microsoft account which I had marked for deletion, plus they have managed to take over the associated Skype account and changed the username and added further email addresses. I can see the email activity for these actions in the inbox.

Are there other ways they could do these things without accessing the inbox? I thought if they knew the email address and the password they'd be able to access it through any email app?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Anonymous wrote:

Are there other ways they could do these things without accessing the inbox? I thought if they knew the email address and the password they'd be able to access it through any email app?

Anyone could indeed use your credentials to send emails from an email client such as Outlook or from an email app. However, the professional scammers and spammers usually use their own bespoke software to do the same thing.

Spoofing is becoming less common than it was because there are authentication methods available which larger email providers use to check whether an email has been sent from a legitimate source. See here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-Media-SPF-Authentication/td-p/2921597 Those authentication checks can sometimes cause genuine emails to be marked as spam or even rejected but that is another matter.

If you no longer use your old email account and it is being used to access other online services plus you are getting grief from scam emails to the account then in my view it is time it was put out of its misery. The Forum Team can do the necessary for you.😉

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Jimbob70 

Sorry to hear that you've been having issues with your old email account. If you'd like us to delete this for you we can go ahead and raise a ticket to get that sorted. I'll private message you now for some more information and we'll go from there 🙂 

Thanks, 

Hollie_B

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again coenoby. Someone from the forum team has made contact and hopefully I and the account will soon be put out of our misery. Cheers