Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm still sending spam

So, I received a letter from Virginmedia a few weeks ago to say I'm sending spam (A device using your internet may be infected with malware)
Since then I've bought a new PC and installed Norton360 on all devices (new W10 PC, W10 laptop, 2 iPads, 3 iPhones). I also followed Ravenstar68's excellent post on these pages using a redundant netbook.
Nothing has been spotted by the netbook or by Norton. This morning I received another letter saying I'm still sending spam.
In addition to the above devices there is a work laptop and work iPad which have their own anti-virus software installed.
There is also a DVR (security camera server) which is probably unix based.
I am at a loss why Virginmedia say I'm still sending spam and I'm looking for ideas at what else I can do.
I'd also like to know if vm are basing their accusation on my IP or email addresses.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: I'm still sending spam

Where applicable, did you confirm that Wireshark was correctly set to capture outbound traffic destined for port 25 with the telnet command?

Where all devices that use your network monitored through Wireshark?

Is any device on your network using Hola VPN?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for reply. Wireshark was setup to monitor port 25, I don't know if there was an additional requirement in Ravenstar68's post to setup a filter to capture telnet. I removed the netbook monitor after about two weeks of no captures. All devices, except the DVR and a network printer, connected via wifi. I don't use Hola VPN, but since installing Norton360 I use their VPN.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There was no additional filter requirement but running the command telnet smtp.blueyonder.co.uk 25 on a device being monitored would confirm Wireshark was set correctly

Consider rerunning Wireshark on the netbook and on the Windows 10 laptop:

• connect to the netbook's Wi-Fi hotspot
  • open a command shell
  • run the following command telnet smtp.blueyonder.co.uk 25 and then type quit to exit telnet

If Wireshark logged the network traffic then it was likely correctly set during your earlier testing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I remember now you mention it I did run the telnet command on the PC and it was captured on the netbook. I'm setting it all up and will go through it all again. On a previous notification from vm a couple of years ago I rang them (they provided a number in those days) and the agent admitted the problem was probably not caused by me but it was on their servers. There's no number to ring now and instead they point you to this forum for advice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Having confirmed that Wireshark was previously set correctly and with nothing to suggest anything was amiss it might be best to look at the devices that could not be scanned to confirm they are not the source.

0 Kudos