Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I Recorded you

Hi I am being bombarded with the above message which is ok as it goes to the spam folder. Unfortunately they say they know my password which is not the case as I change my passwords a lot. The password is an old one I used some time ago for my virgin account. I guess someone got a lot of virgin info some time ago and they are spoofing or phishing. Anyway is there some way I can back track to them using their weird email addresses

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: I Recorded you

While some people engage in scammer-baiting (if that is what it is called), they usually know a lot about how it works before they try to contact them.  You will waste time and could end up getting burned.  I just report to spamcop.net.  At least that helps get their avenues shut down and moves them along to another system with weak security.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi MissPasko. I shouldn't let it get to me but this lockdown is driving me nuts. I'm waiting to see how many goodies Asda won't deliver in a minute after it took me 2Hrs to do the order. Kept giving me the whirly thing. It's just these annoying emails have given away where they got the info. I will take a Valium as you suggest. I will try spamcop.net but I don't think anyone cares anymore.

Thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@NOVELLO wrote:

Hi I am being bombarded with the above message which is ok as it goes to the spam folder. Unfortunately they say they know my password which is not the case as I change my passwords a lot. The password is an old one I used some time ago for my virgin account. I guess someone got a lot of virgin info some time ago and they are spoofing or phishing. Anyway is there some way I can back track to them using their weird email addresses

This is a common form of spam/scam that uses passwords from data breaches on sites other than VM and can show an old VM password if you used the same password on multiple sites.  This site is useful for looking up where your data may have leaked from:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi SCA1972. In this case I am certain I only used this particular password on Virgin, but never mind, its just annoying. I had another attack on my Microsoft password which couldn't cause any loss but they kept changing my password. Funnily enough Microsoft flagged up I was moving from Kuala Lumpur to England then Albania but didn't query it. I will look at the pawned site to see where I am today.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK there has not been a VM data breach involving passwords.  There was an issue with an unsecured database and impacted customers were notified back at the start of March but we were assured that no passwords were stored in the database.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for posting NOVELLO

I'm really sorry to hear of the frustration your experience is causing you.  The only thing I can add to what the fantastic SCA1972 has said, is do regular security checks.  It sounds like you've got all other bases covered.

Regards

Lee_R