cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to test iPhone for malware

Colinw2003
Tuning in

Received email
I am searching but not finding helpful advice .. iPhone android tablets and pcs attached to internet. I expected more detail on malicious traffic ! 

A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware

We’ve been notified by a third party that malicious traffic has been detected coming from a device using your internet connection. We don’t know which device this is, but it does mean your personal data and online financial transactions, including credit card purchases, could be at risk.

It’s likely that a device connected to your broadband is infected with malware. This probably isn’t your fault, but it's important you get your device fixed so the malicious traffic stops as soon as possible. We’ll help you do this below.

We need to let you know that if you don’t get it fixed, to protect others we may need to suspend or cancel your broadband service in line with our Acceptable Use Policy.

What to do next

We recommend using anti-virus software to scan and clean-up your devices. There are a number of trusted anti-virus software options available if you don’t have one already.

For help with this, please visit virginmedia.com/networkattacks

As well as using anti-virus software, Web Safe is available for free to Virgin Media Fibre customers to help protect you against malware and viruses. Full details can be found by signing in to Your Account at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia and going to My Apps.

13 REPLIES 13

VM Failed again ! 

ANSWER SPECIFIC QUESTIONS PLEASE

no malware found 

still hunting for intelligent life forms 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Colinw2003, a colleague has kindly offered this info in general terms - when this happens it's because there was a report that a customer’s IP was detected carrying out a Network Scan of an IP Range.

Under these circumstances there is a 14-day grace period. If there was no malware detected within the grace period, it could have potentially already been resolved by App Updates/OS Updates etc.

These letters are sent to protect customers, but since nothing has been detected it is likely the issue has been resolved. Apologies again for any inconvenience concern caused, hope this helps clear things up a bit.

Tom

Not satisfied, not specific enough answer

what was detected? 

when was it detected? 

is the scan process foolproof , what is flagged as malicious ? 

who is the third party that detected / reported the traffic? 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Colinw2003,

Thank you for coming back to us in regards to this issue. 

Any spam activity could have triggered this automated check. However, we do not have access to further information about this issue. As my colleagues advised, these letters are sent to protect our customers from any potential malware activity. 

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. We're more than happy to assist.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs