Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did someone hack my email?

Si_W
Tuning in

OK, so spotted something odd in my sent items just now:

Si_W_0-1691844252772.png

How did someone manage to hack into my emails and send this email when I use a password manager and a !( character password?

How secure is my email?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for coming back to us @Si_W.

If you access this area of your self-care account, you'll be able to administer any desired changes.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Afternoon @Si_W, thanks for your post and welcome back to our Community Forums

I'm sorry to hear of the mysterious sent item appearing in your sent items.

We would advise that you make sure that all devices using the web mail service are using updated/active spyware to ensure that no hackers are able to access any sensitive information that you access on your devices.

It may be wise to reset the memorable word on the E-Mail account to something that is both new and unique from any previous memorable words that have been set on the E-Mail account.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Si_W
Tuning in

I am currently using Bitdefender on both my PC and mobile.

Hadn't considered the memorable word, can you remind me how to reset?

Thanks for coming back to us @Si_W.

If you access this area of your self-care account, you'll be able to administer any desired changes.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do consider following the advice here, My Virgin media email has been hacked | Virgin Media Help

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

OK, so I had to change my email address to a different one in order to change the security question and that went ok, but now I can't change my email address back as it doesn't like ntlworld addresses.

So what am I supposed to do now?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You cannot change the sign in email address back or to another Virgin Media address. Going forward use the sign in email address when signing into My Virgin Media and webmail

So if I need to change my security question again, then I'll have to come with another email address?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, instead you will::

• be prompted to enter a one time code
  • received to your sign in email address

Si_W
Tuning in

Seems I've been hacked again, despite taking these precautions:

Si_W_0-1695459262576.png