cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change my public IP?

ams232
Joining in

I need to have my public IP changed, as it's getting blocked by an important website I'm using.  My understanding is that my IP is handled by Virgin Media's DHCP service.  So I thought I may contact Virgin Media and ask them to change my public IP address.  Would Virgin Media change my IP if I ask them to? Would I have to leave Virgin Media and go to another ISP provider?

I don't want to use a VPN and rather stick to my normal internet.

Any help much appreciated

8 REPLIES 8

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

V6 will not change your IP address. If you run in modem mode it will change, that is the only way. If a web site is blocking your IP address you need to contact them to remove the block.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ams232 wrote:

Any help much appreciated

The real issue you need to address is why your IP address is being blocked by this website.

Unless you can resolve that, changing your IP address is likely to be just a short term fix. It will allow you to access the site for a while but you may well find that your new IP will then get blocked for the same reason.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

so if I change to modem mode then revert to router mode the change will remain?.  I contacted the website: no answer.  This website is so imporant that I'm thinking of moving ISPs to get a new IP if needed.  Thank you.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ams232 wrote:

so if I change to modem mode then revert to router mode the change will remain?.  I contacted the website: no answer.  This website is so imporant that I'm thinking of moving ISPs to get a new IP if needed.  Thank you.

No, once you change back to router mode you are more than likely to pick up the previous IP address.  They are very sticky.

You need to persevere with the website concerned to find out the reason for the black listing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ams232 wrote:

t I'm thinking of moving ISPs to get a new IP if needed.

You can do that of course but until you get to the bottom of why the website is blocking your IP address you may well find the IP address provided by your new ISP will also get blocked.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

The problem is that I cannot contact this website (tenforums) as I've been banned from it. The reason: I created a different user account, which I didn't know was breaching any rules. I posted a question about this in eightforums (which is related to this website) and got no answer.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

From what you have said it does look like that as well as them banning you they have also blocked you IP address.

And as previously stated due to the nature of how DHCP works nobody can change the IP address even Virginmedia.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ams232

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues with a blocked IP address, I appreciate this must be very frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Apologies, we're unable to change your IP address. Have you tried putting the Hub into modem mode as advised by the community? If so, have you been able to access the site this way? 

Is there any error codes that pop up when you try to access the site when connected to the service? Is it just this site in particular you have the issue with? 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide