Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have I been hacked?

On the 12th November I received an email from Microsoft saying that my password for my blueyonder email account had been changed. The country/region was shown as Ukraine. I tried to log into my email but was unable to do so and received the message "We couldn't access this account Blueyonder. You might need to update your password or give the account permission to sync to this device."

Since then I have spoken to technical support twice and reset my password several times, but having done so, I soon after start receiving the message "Your Blueyonder accountsettings are out of date"

Also, in investigating my settings I found that all emails were being automatically forwarded to an account unknown to me - [removed]

I think I have now disabled that.

I now find that my access to emails is intermittant, almost as if it is being switched on and off.

Is anyone able to help?

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Have I been hacked?

It is unlikely that Microsoft would be informing you of a password change to a Virgin Media account and this is likely the path by which the account was compromise.

Follow the advice given here, What to do if your email's been hacked. Also take appropriate action to secure any services linked to the compromised email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Very Insightful Person.

I did in fact go through the process before, but to make certain, I have done so again.

Unfortunately, I am still getting intermittant messages "Your account settings are out of date"

Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Where are you seeing that message; a redacted screenshot would be of help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It comes as a notification, and pops out of the right hand side of my screen.

Sorry, I'm not sufficently capable to send a redacted screenshot

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Check that you are using the recommended settings for your email client as detailed here, How do I use Virgin Media email with other mail clients?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@RogerW2 wrote:

It comes as a notification, and pops out of the right hand side of my screen.

In addition to the suggestion from  VIP 用心棒, this link might be relevant if you are using the Windows 10 mail app to manage your emails https://www.microsoft-watch.com/fix-your-account-settings-are-out-of-date-in-windows-10-mail-app/ 

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow as I do have windows 10.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Coenoby, thanks for your suggestion, which I have now had a look at.

The link seems to be just what I am looking for, but it suggests updating windows first, and I have read that there are issues with the October update some of which result in the blue screen of death. I am therefore somewhat apprehensive. As background, I am in my seventies and not too familiar with the detailed workings of computers, so I think I will contact someone locally to help.

On the good side, I have run a full virus check and there appear not to be any problems, and although the availability of email on my PC is intermittant, I have full access on my phone.

Many thanks for your assistance