Menu
tombrs
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hardware firewall with Hub 3 ?

Hi all,

I have a Hub 3 which works fine, which has a Firewall built-in BUT I am concerned about security, so questions:

a) how good is this firewall? Seems pretty basic ..

b) any advantage with having a hardware firewall appliance put between the Hub 3 and the rest of my wired home network? Like a Ubiqiti, Zyxell, Cisco, Partaker ..

I have a large and complicated setup; the Hub 3 goes to a Netgear 32 port box switch which then distributes wired 1Gb connections to various devices including 5 x Wifi boxes (I do not use the VM WiFi).

Any suggestions or experience appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos
Timwilky
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hardware firewall with Hub 3 ?

Personally. I use pfSense as my firewall. It is built on a AMD 5350 APU.

So gives me excellent FW functions where I can manage traffic in all directions, to/from LAN(s)/WAN with schedules, ability to invert (not) selections etc.

But also the added features I use

HA proxy enables me forward http(s) to devices. So with a DDNS pointed to the pfsense wan, set up your domain server to assign  cname to the DDNS host and all your web servers can be internet exposed on port 80/443. Put a wildcard certificate on it or even use lets encrypt and you automatically apply ssl against your hosting.

VPN, allow road warrior so family can connect to home resources from phone/tablet whilst away as if part of the home network

VPN service provider. All my dhcp assigned device leave via nord. one connection/rule nothing needed on the devices.

Hurricane electric IPv6 tunnel. So I have a full routable IPv6 /64 network around the home.

Try any of these with a hub! no way

I used to manage 60+ Checkpoint FW-1, have also used Cisco PIX / ASA and Watchguard professionally. Netgear firewall appliances and smoothwall at home. But pfSense gave me the firewall features I needed plus a heck of a lot more. 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

pfSense Is very good, but probably beyond the capabilities of most VM users. Personally I use a Ubiquiti router, just a router not a multi function device no WiFi and and no network switch. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

it depends what you expect the firewall to do. Placing a firewall behind the Sh won't really matter unless you open a computer to the Internet using port forwarding of DMZ. no incoming traffic will pass the SH unless you forward ports

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I use Zyxel Security Firewalls here and made my own real DMZ setup.

---------------------------------------------------------------
tombrs
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I am actually a software engineer, although not so familiar with network security (learning), but I hope to be able to sort it out

0 Kudos
tombrs
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I plan to do a subset of what Timwilky is doing, i.e. firewall with prob 3 LANs, with VPN on the firewall and rules between the 3 LANs

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hope you mean 3 VLANs,  a router capable of routing 3 LANs and the WAN is going to cost a lot of money.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
tombrs
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tudor, yes thanks, I do mean 3 VLANs

0 Kudos