cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had a "virginmedia" agent contact me about slow speeds/connect to secure server?

Scaley84
Joining in

I had a "virginmedia" agent contact me asking about fluctuating internet speeds which ended up in them trying to get me to connect to a "Secure remote server" to remove some error messages.

The call was a landline number [MOD EDIT: Removed]

I didn't do this as assume that it is a scam but has anyone else had this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Yep, this is routine practice - slow speeds, problem with your router, your direct debit has not gone through, etc etc.  Usually it's a guess as to the ISP you are with, unless there's been a data breach where (for example) your landline has been associated with a VM email address.  All intended to sucker people into one of the following:

1) Make a payment 

2) Divulge bank details

3) Allow access to systems or data for identity fraud purposes.

The number that shows is not the source of the call.  It's called "number spoofing", but the short explanation is that any number is easily programmed into any modern corporate telephony system, and the fraudsters will be operating a small call centre behind it, from locations in third world locations (the same sort of locations as big companies outsource their customer "service" to).  By routing traffic through multiple countries they can make it difficult for UK authorities to find and shut them down (and even that depends on third world justice systems that are easily bought off).

The crook use UK landline numbers because they know there a good chance people will pick the call up.  They can either guess a suitable number as it doesn't matter if its live or not, and in some cases they'll use the number of somebody they've previously dialled.  It's also possible that they'll particularly pick on the number of somebody who, recognising a scam call, has strung them along for twenty minutes or so.  They change the number frequently because otherwise it gets picked up by call blocking systems.  I've even had my landline number used in this way, with the result of a few puzzled calls "I just missed your call", "I didn't call anybody", "Oh yes you did", "Oh no I didn't".

If you want to avoid these calls, the best solution is probably something like the BT 4600 or BT Advanced Phone Z, both of which have excellent call blocking or delay/deterrent features.  

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Scaley84 wrote:

I had a "virginmedia" agent contact me asking about fluctuating internet speeds which ended up in them trying to get me to connect to a "Secure remote server" to remove some error messages.

The call was a landline number 01223######

I didn't do this as assume that it is a scam but has anyone else had this?

Yes a 100% scam call.

This type of scam is explained below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Is-there-a-way-to-verify-Virgin-media-support-...

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Yep, this is routine practice - slow speeds, problem with your router, your direct debit has not gone through, etc etc.  Usually it's a guess as to the ISP you are with, unless there's been a data breach where (for example) your landline has been associated with a VM email address.  All intended to sucker people into one of the following:

1) Make a payment 

2) Divulge bank details

3) Allow access to systems or data for identity fraud purposes.

The number that shows is not the source of the call.  It's called "number spoofing", but the short explanation is that any number is easily programmed into any modern corporate telephony system, and the fraudsters will be operating a small call centre behind it, from locations in third world locations (the same sort of locations as big companies outsource their customer "service" to).  By routing traffic through multiple countries they can make it difficult for UK authorities to find and shut them down (and even that depends on third world justice systems that are easily bought off).

The crook use UK landline numbers because they know there a good chance people will pick the call up.  They can either guess a suitable number as it doesn't matter if its live or not, and in some cases they'll use the number of somebody they've previously dialled.  It's also possible that they'll particularly pick on the number of somebody who, recognising a scam call, has strung them along for twenty minutes or so.  They change the number frequently because otherwise it gets picked up by call blocking systems.  I've even had my landline number used in this way, with the result of a few puzzled calls "I just missed your call", "I didn't call anybody", "Oh yes you did", "Oh no I didn't".

If you want to avoid these calls, the best solution is probably something like the BT 4600 or BT Advanced Phone Z, both of which have excellent call blocking or delay/deterrent features.  

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Andrew-G wrote:

<snip>

A thumbs up for the trueCall features of the BT phones, which are excellent for screening out scammers. For any customers using a Hub 5 though, worth delaying any new purchase of a BT phone at the moment due to some VM 'confusion' regarding phantom and erroneous 'missed call' messages from 'unknown' numbers appearing on BT phones connected to Hub 5's.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Constant-quot-no-number-calls-quot-since-moving-to-I...

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Almost everyone who has a landline gets them. Virgin will not make any outgoing technical calls like this.

A few facts:

OFCOM publishes lists of numbers issued to each telephone exchange. These lists amongst other things show the groups of numbers allocated to each provider. The scammers simply assume that as your number is allocated to Virgin Media that you are a Virgin Media customer. If you have not ported it out by switching supplier they will be right.

Scammers have software that can fake any number they choose. Initally they were only using unallocated numbers, but as people & providers started to block these number they have taken to cloning genuine numbers. The one you have posted may well belong to a genuine business or another residential customer that is nothing to do with the scam. Some well meaning vigilantes have then been dialling these numbers & harassing innocent people. Hence it is not a good idea to publish the numbers.

When all the PSTN exchanges are swithced off in a few years time it will become a lot harder for these scammers to operate, as they will not be able to hide where they are calling from.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks