Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hacked blueyonder email account

Hi Everyone

I've just joined and hoping for some help/support. I'm not sure how I was hacked but I was... seriously. First of all I couldn't access my Instagram account after going to a cafe... Then it all started! Amazon, Ebay, Face Book. I lost my original Instagram account after a tug of war with them over one weekend. 

Then it escalated to where I couldn't access my blueyonder email account. After a few long phone calls the support team changed my password and I regained access. Three days later the same thing happened and another round of long telephone calls began again. Email and password changed again this time. Fast forward another couple of days and although I could get into the main site I was locked out of my emails. Eventually I was transferred to a higher security team who asked me to subscribe to the premium service where they access remotely. I was ready to agree to anything at this point. Everything was 'unlocked' and I now have access although I have had to change my emails/[passwords on every site I know I am subscribed to (So time consuming).

NOW... I've received two letters from Virgin Media Internet Security informing me that they had locked my account due to suspicious activity on 06/09/2019 and unauthorised persons have had access to my account. 'They' have sent spam emails? 

I'd already bought Norton security when I was in the middle of realising I'd been hacked. The team in the letter are recommending that I enable SSL/TLS encryption when using an email app?  

Can any of you kind people advise me if I need to do this or will the Norton be enough now? This has been really upsetting and time consuming and impacted on me emotionally.

Oh and my Microsoft account account has been hacked from China back in July.... Can't get into that either ..... Now that's impossible to get back as I cannot remember any of the information they want to unlock it.... Sigh

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked blueyonder email account

Yes, you should not simply rely on your security software.  You need to make sure you are using the up-to-date secure settings for your email clients.  See here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438/jump-to/first-unread-m...

You should also follow all the guidance here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked blueyonder email account

If those online services were linked against your blueyonder.co. uk email address then its compromise might well explain why they fell like dominoes; miscreants will try compromised authentication credentials again many online services in the hope that you have reused them there and failing that will request password resets.

Were you referred to the Compromised Email Account advice webpage (as mentioned by Graham_A) before being pushed towards the premium service?

BTW if that premium service you used to regain access to your email accounts failed to configure your email client(s) to use TLS then (IMHO) they were negligent ― akin to replacing a picked door lock with the same model lock, yes you have a new lock and key but the pick technique will still compromise it.

IMHO find a new email service that has similar or better security that the online services it may help secure, for example many popular online service offer multi-factor authentication so look for an email service with at least the same.