Menu
lazypole
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hacked account

Looks like someone has my details. Password changed on Friday, then again on Saturday at 4.30 in the morning. New password set, but changed once again at 5.30 on Sunday morning. Security details updated and another password.

In the meantime I have an email from VM mobile about a failed purchase I did not make - not a VM mobile customer.

Also unable to send mail using blue yonder account, password not accepted by mac mail program - works on my mobile phone with the same password.

What's going on?

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked account

Thank you for the post Lazypole and welcome to our community.

Have you been able to update your password on the account to ensure this is secure? 

Are you aware of what details they have at all? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
lazypole
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for the prompt response.

The security question hadn't been changed so I was able to update the password.

The contact details were not changed.

I have updated the security question.

I have had issues with people hacking accounts before on other sites, eg Netflix, and it can be a war of attrition to see who gives up first.

I am concerned about how easy it is to change details on VM, security needs a little bit of an update I reckon - too few factors eg email me to confirm before changing the password.

My concern was the email re failed mobile purchase because they couldn't get an e-signature. I reckon my being prompt to change my details on that occasion helped.

Can't get my head around the mac mail issue - I can get mail, can't send it. Still have another email account i can use for that.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming, if this has been happening on multiple accounts it may be worth resetting your email passwords as this is one way they can try to hack into accounts like this. 

In regards to your mac mail issues, if you're able to access these on other devices or using the web mail website we'd recommend removing the email from this and then setting this back up using our recommended settings

Thanks, Emily.

lazypole
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The multiple accounts thing not really - they are all different passwords so often security breach or even brute force. That will happen.

I will check the settings and remove and re-add the blue yonder account to apple mail.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's good to hear you're keeping your accounts secure by using separate passwords, if you've changed the security question and password for your account with us this should ensure this stays secure. 

Let us know how that goes.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
lazypole
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Just checked the settings, the mac OS I am using didn't look much like the images, but, I noticed there was an outgoing mail password. Clearly had to type it into incoming and outgoing and had not updated the outgoing. Silly error. BUT you helped solve the problem.

Brilliant thanks again. Really helpful.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No problem it's great to hear we've solved that for you.

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to get back in touch with us.

Thanks, Emily 🙂 

0 Kudos
crany
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Would be nice if virgin would get with the times and enable 2FA
0 Kudos
lazypole
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes. The security is really archaic. They do need TFA to look after their customer’s security. 

0 Kudos