Menu
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

HUB 3 SECURITY

I noticed today the Arris router hub 3  is listed as using a web server lighttpd, if I  do a router check (using an app), is this part of the normal operation of the hub 3, I can not say I have noticed this before, so just checking it is normal?

All the hub 3 setting look normal and no forwarding or triggering set up, or any vulnerabilities just port 80  www HTTP and port  443  secure http (SSL)  (HTTPS)

recent downloads-  are these firmware upgrades

20/01/2021 08:25:7noticeSW download Successful - Via Config file
20/01/2021 08:22:57noticeSW Download INIT - Via Config file

software version

Standard specification compliant: DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version: 10
Software version: 9.1.1912.304

alf28 

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: HUB 3 SECURITY

SERVER IN ROUTER- hub 3- (no answers yet from the experts so I have tried to get an answer myself)

It may be that the internal router server is for the settings page viewed online. Wise to ensure the remote facility is not enabled and default passwords not used.

The router software may be a linux kernal and uses a lighttpd simple server to manage the router.

See   Secure Your Wireless Router: 8 Things You Can Do Right Now (howtogeek.com)

I would still like this confirmed by someone that it is normal to have lighttpd  and that it not hacked or a back door, has anyone else checked the router using a router checker app? (used my android tablet)

If lighttpd was something like a virus or trojan I would need to reset my hub3.

All other tests are clear, no open ports.

alf28

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

you are paranoid about security. Best advice is don't go digging for things you don't understand. you are always going to find things you don't understand
lighthttp is a webserver
0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Does that mean it is OK to have the webserver lighttpd on the hub 3, I sense that you imply nothing unusual with that.

alf28

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

yes its fine and needed its the GUI
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The firmware on the Hub3 is locked down by VM and NOT accessible by anyone. Therefore it’s totally irrelevant what web server software they use. It cannot be altered by ANYONE.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for answers

Hub 3 settings- and security

I updated the hub 3 passwords today, some difficulty with the settings password, after changing it successfully it then locked me out, so reset and changed again successfully but then would not let me log in, saying already logged in by somebody, may be a problem with browser needing refreshing but odd, took a third attempt before I could get back in. Also having logged out I found the setting page still active and displayed later.

(I have had these issues before, when changing the hub settings page password, seems to upset the hub but also have had the password fail in the past so best to check it occasionally that it works by logging in and not hacked and changed)

Also odd no user name to log into settings, just a password, so only as secure as the password only.

I had a mixture of  wifi passwords and wps so have now switched all device connections to wifi password, more secure with the wps pin and button now disabled, but was a chew on. I found the wps sometimes needed resetting as if devices lost the pin, so will see how it goes all on wifi password connection.

This was part of a check on my system,had some odd events of late which still persist such as computer freezing (requiring restart) or printers freezing, but may be due to windows updates rather rather than hub issues.

As well as password updates I updated my windows 10  user accounts and antivirus passwords, providing tighter  security, admin privilege etc.

Although some may say I am paranoid about security, although working with computers since the 80's I am still learning and technology keeps evolving and changing. Windows 10 perhaps not as easy or secure as other devices such as android devices or Chromebooks, iphones, ipads etc., less to go wrong?

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

USING WIFI PASSWORDS-connection issues

Having had some issues with devices due to lower/uppercase mistakes I eventually managed to get all devices working on wifi rather than using the wps pushbutton which utilises a pin number, was not easy and took ages.

However one HP printer did prove very difficult, it would not accept the wifi password manually via a temporary usb link (no display console), only if I allowed it to search and install the wifi password automatically which worked, but then ink problems and also had to log into my HP account  to print a document.

Both laptops now printing to my 2 printers hp and epson.

When using the wps previously, sometimes it would loose the connection and require a push button press on the hub, also used to get a long delay between sending a print and the HP printing out could be several minutes, the other issues were printer not detected due to two versions of the same printer installed and also door open notice even though door closed after the ink change.

Hope it was worth the effort to ditch wps which is an older connection method using an 8 digit pin number on the hub.

Have still to get my printers working on android- requires apps to connect-not working at present.

alf28

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi  again ALF28,

I have an HP printer, and also had them in the past. They can be a PITA.

I have mine set up for both wired and wireless connections. I have to really force the drawer closed on my printer otherwise I get that error message

I use HP Smart on my Samsung tablet and Xiaomi Mi Max 3 without any problems.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

HP PRINTER WIFI CONNECTION

Thanks newappolo, I will try the  HP smartapp on my samsung tablet, has an older app hp connect at present.

I have the hp smartapp on my windows 10 laptop also.

The HP printer goes into error for no apparent reason sometimes.

I did get help from the HP website, advised switching off the printer and the hub and restarting the hub then the printer, may have helped and also I downloaded from HP website the "HP print and scan doctor" and ran that and the printer started.

I think you are correct to have a  usb cable handy to print that way, rather than wifi if it fails, glad I have 2 printers, the epson is more reliable for connection.

Not used HP  printers before, it was the only one in stock at the time, nice printer when it works.

alf28

0 Kudos