Menu
gcfalco
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Gadget Rescue - for real????

In short, my new security camera needs (I think) a booster of some sort to work properly. I was pushed to "Gadget Rescue" for assistance. Are there any security issues with "Gadget Rescue? 

Has anyone had experience of allowing foreign call centres to have remote access to their PC? 

Anyway, any light that can be thrown on matters gratefully received. Below is the text of my request for answers sent Monday to "Resolver" - awaiting a response:

I would like to raise a complaint about my Broadband service. The issue occurred on 18/11/2019. To explain in more detail I've issues with a new security camera which being outside the house seems to have issues with a weak wifi signal.
From reading your forum it seems a booster might help. I telephoned your "gadget rescue" team who I found difficult to get through to & when I did cut me off twice.
The 1st gadget person told me I needed a booster & put me through to a different team to discuss - however, I was then cut off.
After getting hold of a 3rd gadget person, she told me she needed to take my computer over to "change codes" and there would be an on-going £5/month charge for the service.
When I said no she repeatedly talked over me & said her colleague's solution just to send me a booster was incorrect & I had to sign up to her suggestion.
A - I didn't like her very pushy attitude.
B - there's no way I'm going to allow someone in any call centre "take over" my PC which has all my banking, etc. information on.
C - I'm not going to pay Virgin £5 a month for a service I have no use for.
I'd appreciate your comments.
Meanwhile I still need booster.
This meant that Wasted an hour+ of my time & my issue still isn't resolved.
In order to resolve my issue I would like you to An explanation as to whether Virgin consider this good service.
And a booster or other fix.

Incidentally, does anyone know why Virgin are pushing complaints to "Resolver" instead of dealing with them directly?

Many thanks for any thoughts on where to next.

Sololobo
Community elder
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gadget Rescue - for real????

Re: WiFi Booster https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/WiFi-Wins/ba-p/3958523

WiFi Win #3

Give your home WiFi a boost

>Our Intelligent WiFi technology is designed to keep your household online, doing what they love. But some hard-to-reach rooms might get a weaker signal. This can be because your house is big, has thick walls, or wall insulation is slowing the signal.

If scanning with the Virgin Media Connect app shows you have a WiFi blackspot, you can order a WiFi Booster at no extra cost if you're a Virgin Fibre customer with Full House TV and above, or £3 extra a month if you have Virgin Fibre with us on another package.

It's a clever gizmo that uses your home electrical wiring to make WiFi signals go further.

Also see https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-what-is-a-powerline-booster

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

That all seems a bit confused, so Ill break it down for you. Excuse the brevity, its for clarity not to be rude.

• VM technical support look after THEIR kit
  • Anything else LAN side is your problem.
  • Gadget rescue is a paid for additional service to support YOUR kit.
  • VM have an internal complaints procedure, but you can use a 3rd party such as resolver if you like.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
gcfalco
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Chaps,

Thank you both for you clarification & guidance. However:

- Virgin told me the only way I could get a booster was if I went through Gadget Rescue (told to me via online chat)

- Looking at the info page: https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/digital-home-support/overview.html it's not an unreasonable conclusion to arrive at that this is a service provided by Virgin Media 

- Virgin's complaints process took me to this page: https://www.resolver.co.uk/companies/virgin-media-complaints which again the Virgin branding suggests this is the way they want you to complain to them.

Retuning to my original point, why would an off-shore call centre want to remotely take over my computer? My security camera cannot even be accessed via my computer. Why did they insist I had to sign-up to pay them £60 a year just to supply a booster which in my circumstances (per Sololobo) would appear to be free? Hard sell or something more worrying?

I'd like someone from Virgin to answer whether the approach taken by GR is approved by them, to answer my complaint & to sort out a booster as my camera still keeps drop the signal.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi gcfalco,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community , I am sorry to hear that you weren't happy with the help and advise you got through Gadget rescue, 

In regards to support for your cameras ETC we are unable to support this and we do use Gadget rescue as a 3rd party to help support this with our customers, if you are not happy with what they did you can raise an oficial complaint, you can view our complainants code of practice  here .

The £60.00 is for the support not for the booster, if you don't believe you got the support you are paying for and don't believe the issue was resolved this can be discussed once the complaint is picked up.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
gcfalco
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Paul,

Can you let me know what happened to my previous response from midday today to your message below?

I wanted to know why Gadget Rescue wanted to remotely take control of my PC to "fix the code" when my only issue is my Hub signal isn't quite strong enough to get a camera to work properly? 

Have you taken it down? What's going on here?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

We've checked and there have been no posts removed gcfalco, maybe there was an issue with it being posted at your end?

We don't work in gadget rescue but if they needed to take remote access to your PC this may have been part of their diagnostics, did you question this at the time?

Rob

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I suppose the other question is why would they need to remote in to the users PC to connect a wireless IP camera to a HUB?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gcfalco
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ok guys I obviously haven't been clear in why I posted this under "security".

I was told by Virgin (via online chat) that they could provide a booster which would ensure my new security camera would work as expected. They said to obtain a booster I needed to contact their "Gadget Rescue" team.

So I called Gadget Rescue. After explaining the issue, Person A at GR (clearly a call centre somewhere very distant from the UK) told me they'd transfer me to the relevant team so I could be sent a booster. Then the line went dead. After numerous further attempts & repeatedly being cut off, I got Person B. They told me I didn't need a booster as they would be able to remotely fix it. They said I'd have to allow them remote access to my PC so they could "fix some codes".

When I said no I just want a booster B got angry & insisted I let her access my PC - at which point I smelt a rat & put the phone down.

As my camera works through the Hub & on to my phone - I can't even access the images via my PC - why did she want access to my PC? What codes did she have in mind fixing? What was going on?

As a security issue, do Virgin recommend that allowing someone remote access for no obvious reason is a good idea?

Indeed out of the people reading this, how many of you would allow access in such circumstances?

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

As you can see above, Ive asked the same thing. And yes  got it was in security for that reason, which is why I haven't asked you to troubleshoot the setup.

On a relevant side note- best way to get a booster (if you need one, we haven't even tried to ascertain that) is to use the app. If it finds dead WiFi spots it will give you the option to order a set. As Solobo pointed out, they are FOC on some packages, there is a monthly charge on others.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos