cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent call?

Kingfisher12
Joining in

Hi there

We get a call on our landline every day from a call centre, saying that they are from Virgin Media. The number today came up as [MOD EDIT: Cloned number]. I'm pretty sure other numbers have been used before. Usually when I answer they hang up, but today the guy first asked me if I ever experience problems with our internet and then said that our occasional problems are due to a hacker living close-by.

I asked him to verify his identity (he gave me a Virgin media address in London) and then give me details of our account (he reeled off 2 'account reference numbers' which I couldn't check as I didn't have that information to hand). I asked him to confirm our address and he read out our previous address from about 5 years ago.

He then asked me to go on to Google from my mobile and read out an email address that he wanted me to type in. At that point I hung up the phone. He tried calling back 3 times in quick succession.

I presume this was a fraudulent call and didn't give out any personal information, but it was very convincing up to a point. Please be careful

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

Yes it was a fraudulent call.

The way these work is they try to sound convincing, the address of VM  is common knowledge and they know that hardly anyone would know their account number off the top of their head so they just rattle off any old set of numbers, you won’t know any different.

Addresses can also be found out quite easily, the electoral roll for example, obviously their info was quite out of date, but again for many it would have worked and added a degree of credibility to the call.

Most people if you just ask them will rightly claim that ‘well yes sometimes my internet is a bit slow’, it’s just the way that is works, again makes the call sound more genuine.

No ISP not VM, BT, TalkTalk and certainly never Microsoft or Google will EVER EVER call up at random and tell you that there is a problem but if you just do xyzzy it’ll be much better - well your bank account will be somewhat lighter and they will be a bit better off but that’s about it.

Oh just to add, because you answered and started to engage, your number and details have now been sold on to other scammers, it’s more valuable as someone answered and, yes, it didn’t work this time but maybe someone else will have better luck at robbing you blind. Always best to just put the phone down as soon as they start their spiel.

John

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

jem101
Superstar

Yes it was a fraudulent call.

The way these work is they try to sound convincing, the address of VM  is common knowledge and they know that hardly anyone would know their account number off the top of their head so they just rattle off any old set of numbers, you won’t know any different.

Addresses can also be found out quite easily, the electoral roll for example, obviously their info was quite out of date, but again for many it would have worked and added a degree of credibility to the call.

Most people if you just ask them will rightly claim that ‘well yes sometimes my internet is a bit slow’, it’s just the way that is works, again makes the call sound more genuine.

No ISP not VM, BT, TalkTalk and certainly never Microsoft or Google will EVER EVER call up at random and tell you that there is a problem but if you just do xyzzy it’ll be much better - well your bank account will be somewhat lighter and they will be a bit better off but that’s about it.

Oh just to add, because you answered and started to engage, your number and details have now been sold on to other scammers, it’s more valuable as someone answered and, yes, it didn’t work this time but maybe someone else will have better luck at robbing you blind. Always best to just put the phone down as soon as they start their spiel.

John

Thanks very much John - good advice