Menu
Marie-1965
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Fraudulent Account Access

I was contacted today at 3pm by someone who advised he was calling from Virgin Media and wanted to make me aware that somebody was illegally trying to gain access to my Virgin Media account.

I did not continue with the call as I am sceptical about receiving cold calls especially when they concern this type of subject.

The telephone number used was [MOD EDIT: NUMBER REMOVED]

I am unable to find out where this number originates and would be grateful if somebody could confirm if it is a genuine VM contact number and, if so, if it is safe to call back.

Many thanks

15.56pm

Have just checked with 'Who Called Me' and it would appear the number is based in a cafe in Esher so am now assuming it isn't VM 🙄

Will now post this number as fraudulent unless somebody from VM advises otherwise

Many thanks

Marie-1965

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Fraudulent Account Access

@Marie-1965 wrote:

I was contacted today at 3pm by someone who advised he was calling from Virgin Media and wanted to make me aware that somebody was illegally trying to gain access to my Virgin Media account.

I did not continue with the call as I am sceptical about receiving cold calls especially when they concern this type of subject.

The telephone number used was [MOD EDIT: NUMBER REMOVED]

I am unable to find out where this number originates and would be grateful if somebody could confirm if it is a genuine VM contact number and, if so, if it is safe to call back.

Many thanks

You have been contacted by a scam call centre in India. This is nothing to do with Virgin Media, who will not call you in this way. The number you have posted has been cloned from another Virgin Media customer in Esher, who is nothing to do with the scam & will be totally unaware their number has been cloned. I will ask a mod to remove it from this public forum for obvious reasons.

As you have responded to them you may now get more calls of the same type.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You were wise to be cautious. The fact that the number does not show up in any searches should be enough to warn you of a scam attempt.

Do not call the number back. If you ever feel the need to speak to VM, use the free 150 number from a VM landline and place an outbound call.

Best approach is not to answer unknown caller IDs.

0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Marie-1965

As previously advised by @nodrogd - this call was indeed fraudulent, I will pass this through to the relevant teams to feed this back. 

Thank you for being so wise and also thank you for the feedback.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos