Menu
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Fraud Call - They called me from a Virgin Media Landline!

CLID 02082 74 xxxx

29/04/21 @ 12:57

Have to wonder if the number been ported out, Sadly VM don't seem to have a fraud department you can contact to report scams from their own network. 

Anyone have a contact?

I have had a busy few days with these guys, lots of name calling and such, but I have been ignoring the foreign numbers this morning and that's when they used the UK based one.

I can't see it being a CLID Spoof - Virgin shouldn't allow external CLID spoofing of THEIR numbers.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fraud Call - They called me from a Virgin Media Landline!

Why do you not think it is a spoofed caller ID of a (possibly) real number?

From what I have seen on the forums recently, when OPs are now quoting caller ID numbers they are very frequently being identified as real numbers and being removed by the moderators.

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I can't say if the number itself is in use, but it is in a real Virgin Media assigned block.

Virgin Media passing a external CLID for a Virgin Media number though?

If that's spoofed (and it could well be) then Virgin shouldn't be allowing these types of calls get passed onto their network carte blanche, at a minimum, blocking those VoIP providers who use a spoofed number without permission.

Disclaimer here ... I can use (Spoof) My VM number on my VoIP accounts, but I have had to go through verification processes for this because the providers fear the wrath of regulators when they use something not allowed.

Also, I didn't quote the number, but as I have a Number and the Time of the call then it should be easy for someone to see if that call was (or was not) made from said VM Customer to me.  If it was then action could be taken, if it wasn't then the number is being spoofed and they can just kick me to the kerb.

I know in my first post I said it shouldn't be allowed, I should have made that more specific in that it shouldn't be allowed from just anywhere, and perhaps in reality it shouldn't be allowed from just any service without some sort of permission/verification on VM side.

----
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The calls are coming in from India via the internet, where there are no controls on the use of VoIP spoofing software. There are many gateways these calls can come through, & as soon as one route is blocked, the scammers simply move to another. What is needed is end-to-end call verification, which can only become a reality when the entire system goes digital in a few years time.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Molly_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi @VMCopperUser

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear of the calls you have been receiving, especially if the callers have been claiming to be from Virgin Media. 

Have these been coming through to your mobile or your landline?

We do offer advice on Dealing With Fraudulent Calls including reporting and what else to do next.

Thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Landline, CLID shows various locations globally, It was just the one that had a CLID from VM that I was hoping you could see if it was a valid CLID or not. 

I expect not legit, but never hurts to check.

----
0 Kudos