Menu
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 61 of 76
Flag for a moderator

Re: Finally had it with Virgin(I sound like a broken record)

If you have a VPN installed then it could mean a conflict if it doesn't completely unload when you close it and work without it, so your browser asks for a proxyget then to the site you request. The best advice is to uninstall it and run a registry cleaner free registry cleaner then reboot your PC, then re-install it to see if that fixes the problem. Which Browser have you set as a default in Windows? as some Browsers offer a proxy or VPN as an add on and can cause conflicts.

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 62 of 76
Flag for a moderator

I would add to the above clear out all your browser cookies and try the problem sites before installing the VPN again.

0 Kudos
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 63 of 76
Flag for a moderator

Don't have a VPN and can confirm cookies etc cleared as we did a reset of Google Chrome and never used edge before this. Thanks though for your input and taking time to read my post.

0 Kudos
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 64 of 76
Flag for a moderator

@deckhanddave wrote:

Replying to Kippies

"Scott, as I said, it wasn't that I didn't believe you about the ip but Bill has given me a half a chance at resolving this or finding the culprit. I just wished that it had been suggested a week earlier as I might have had it sorted by now. I hope you understand where I am coming from in this and why it rankles me so much. There are many people that have less knowledge than I and if I am struggling what chance do they have? Also, even the government are making us more reliant on the internet and as for the banks, well, how many branch closures? Honestly, do you think it acceptable for both Virgin and the Banks to just fob paying customers off? I'm genuinely interested in hearing anyones opinion on that as I might be wrong in mine."

"Not so much you might be, you are. Sorry if that sounds harsh, its not meant to".

Am I having a blonde moment here but I can't figure what you are getting at here? Are what? or are you referring to my opinion? If so, I am sure you know that for every one of you that says I am, there will be another that thinks like I do and agrees, but hey, it's your opinion I'm wrong and I don't necessarily think you might be wrong, you are. That isn't being harsh or facetious it's just saying for every opinion out there there is an opposite one. You may be an agnostic and I a catholic, who's to say either of us is wrong? 

Next-

I also noted you use a Netgear 7000. I've toyed with the idea of getting a 

NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S Smart Wi-Fi Router (R8000P) - AC4000 Tri-Band Wireless Speed (up to 4000 Mbps)...

I would like your opinion on that if you don't mind.

Nice piece of kit, probably overkill, but will allow for expanding LAN side (which it sounds like its likely you will do)

Thank you for your input on that. I picked that because it was recommended to me because of its reputation for stable strong wifi signal but I only have that on others say so, however the reviews I have seen seem to bear that out. As you have mentioned it may be overkill, would you like to give an opinion on what sort of router I should look at? I know the Nighthawk is aimed at gamers, which I don't bother doing.

Lastly my analogy may have been poor but I was struggling to think of one where a company provides you with a piece of kit and washes their hands of it asap and another company which is part to blame washes its hands of it because the problem is created by a company in their employ. Thereby leaving the poor paying customer to their own devices. In addition to all that, no one gives a clear answer on the problem. Why didn't I go to Gadget Rescue or whatever they are called? because Virgin told me to and told me I had to pay if they resolved it. That smells to high heaven to me because I have a suspicious nature. I can't find where Virgin declare their interest in referring people to them or how much they might be paid for that referral?  Do I trust Virgin Media? No.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 65 of 76
Flag for a moderator

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=ASUS+RT-AC66U_B1

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC68U-Dual-Band-Wireless-802-11AC/dp/B00FB45SI4?ascsubtag=06-321748...

Are favourites round these parts, shop around though Amazon pricing varies from decent to extortionate.

Personally I use DLink SME kit as its cheap as chips.

As for who is right or wrong? I am not going to argue, if you've read my expansion and still dont agree, we will agree to disagree. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 66 of 76
Flag for a moderator

I agree on agree to disagree totally and thanks for the advice and links on the router.  Now back to my steps to try and get to the bottom of this. I left my laptop being sniffed by Wireshark all day and night. Nothing so I am now onto the next step. I set up my Laptop hotspot and have connected all my Amazon Alexa devices to it. I am thinking that it might be a good idea to connect, test and then disconnect by type groups. That would then be, My Alexa, My IP cams (2x) My Meross bulbs and finally my Meross sockets. As for my CCTV recorder, that is hard wired into my router so I believe would have shown up when I was doing the laptop port 25 test but I get this feeling I may be wrong. Can anyone advise me on that please? Also, any opinions on the way I am doing the tests would be greatly appreciated. Now a little suggestion to Bill and everyone else out there in helper land. How about using my case and the advice from Bill, along with the links and creating a 'Sticky' for it? If this has happened to me now and I am only one person, then I reckon there will be many more to come. A sticky on preventing this type of problem may be useful too. Here's my situation regarding prevention, I run Windows Defender and Firewall. I believe my Virgin Hub 3 has its own firewall but I could be mistaken  and I run Websafe but here's a weird thing. I checked it the other day when I was posting to be sure it was on and it was, I just checked it now and it was off, how can that be? did I turn it off the other day by accident when I checked or is there something in this virus lark that turned it off itself? Anyway, it is and was definitely on back then and now. Maybe that's not enough but I mistakenly thought I was reasonably well protected. A sticky with advice on that subject would be a good one to have. They say a little knowledge is a bad thing, in my case it looks to be true.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 67 of 76
Flag for a moderator

The current state of play on the guidance issue is this -

1. The letter you received from VM refers you to virginmedia.com/malware which autodirects you to https://www.virginmedia.com/help/malware-alert

This contains general guidance on the subject. But does not actually point you to item 2 below for example.

2. Searching for Spambots is near the top of the “pink stickies” on page 1 of the Community - Security Matters - section.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

3. What item 1 does point you to is virginmedia.com/community for further assistance – and you might then find item 2 if you find your way to Security Matters.

4. Other sources of information include -

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/security-hub
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mirai-malware-alert

5. What is most missing is an item with a higher profile about the Internet of Things and the increased risks arising from the multitude of smart devices which can be connected to home networks today. If I put that subject into a Google search today I get 2,750,000,000 results. So the challenge is reducing that volume of information down to something which is both useful and readable by the average customer.

In summary, VM does continuously review how and where information is located and linked, and this can always be improved. I’ll ask the Forum Team leader to put it on his “to-do” list.

deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 68 of 76
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Bill. I hear what you said. Maybe they can start a thread along the lines of 'Problems'? FAQ and solutions. Sometimes it's not clear where to look and there can also be too much info to wade through before you arrive where you need to be. I looked and searched on my problems but was inundated with other irrelevant information that just blocks you. What you gave me was clear concise and most of all followable. It needs to be posted somewhere easily found and visible to someone looking. Regards the https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mirai-malware-alert it tells you to close port 23 but mine already is. I checked for a rule on my router and used an open port check tool. That's the limit of its help other than go look see on the forum. The only other link is https://www.virginmedia.com/help/security-hub and that just gives you a ton more links and items to read. Example-https://www.virginmedia.com/help/how-to-protect-your-computer. I already have done all that except for purchase Virgins recommended F-secure. Do you use it? Last time I used a Virgin recommended antivirus it caused me terrible problems that Virgin ended up reimbursing me the cost of putting right as I could prove it was their fault.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 69 of 76
Flag for a moderator

I’m happy with Defender and my own experience of windows systems. You should be OK with Defender and Websafe. The biggest problem with all the available protection software is that they always seem to be one step behind at plugging the new loopholes the baddies have found.

Have you been able to set new passwords on all your smart devices?

0 Kudos
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 70 of 76
Flag for a moderator

This is what I can't understand, I use a password generator called Sticky Password. It causes me so much extra work typing passwords into stuff that aren't on my computer that I hate it but it works. The one I dislike is the Amazon Alexa stuff. You have to use your Amazon account login email and password but that's generated by Sticky Password and is pretty darned complex. My router password is also needed by them and that's been changed as is my router log in details. I cannot think of one thing that has a simple easy password or a generic one. Not even my CCTV recorder and web interface. Here's an example of the type of password it generates, and this is a more simpler one than some and it isn't in use so no panic! 9CLKhyUM6D2vhJw. I honestly thought I was beyond this sort of garbage and that's why I am off on one at Virgin. It's easy for them to wash their hands and say it isn't their fault and responsibility but it sounds and smells fishy that all this happened on one day, during Christmas. That and it is still ongoing. Someone said, it will only last a couple of days, it's now just over a week that I have been aware of it.

0 Kudos