Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 51 of 76
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Finally had it with Virgin(I sound like a broken record)

The small group of 'VIP' members here are volunteers who help where we can.  We have been working behind the scenes to try and work out what is behind your current issues.  This response from BillC45 is a result of that consultation.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 52 of 76
Flag for a moderator

One other thing, the two letters from Virgin reference two malware incidents dated 27/12/20 concerning proxyget and iotmirai was supposedly detected on my internet connection or home network. Now I can find info on mirai but not on proxyget. Any ideas on how I can find out more about them and possibly find the little [removed]? Or should this that I am doing show it up? Also, any other ports I should look at? Thanks

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 53 of 76
Flag for a moderator

@deckhanddave wrote:
Just one thing occurs to me, why didn't someone do what you did several days ago? Yours is the first piece of helpful information and insight into the problem that has been offered in all this time. All anyone wanted to do was stick their heads up their a**es and blame the other party rather than say, hang on, this is a paying customer and he needs HELP! Both Virgin and the banks.

The first piece of helpful info and insight, REALLY?  So when I said it wasn't VM's fault and it looks like your IP is blocked as a result of malware on your LAN that wasn't useful? 🙄

Not trying to take anything away from Bill's excellent post, but can I ask why you appear to believe him and not me?

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 54 of 76
Flag for a moderator

But shouldn't Virgin Media accept some responsibility for this and it's them who should get their heads out of their proverbials. I understand that most if not all of the help is from volunteers on here and it's not you I am angry with but Virgin themselves. I pay them £100+ a month at present and they supply me with the kit to operate their service and to interact with the internet. When there is a problem with it, they should sit up and help not just say it isn't our fault, tough t*tty. This has gone on for a week but what have Virgin done actively to help? Not including you volunteers on here. These letters regards malware, they say it happened on the 27th. That's the day after boxing day. The only new things added to my internet of things during that period were two Echo shows and one was I'm pretty sure after that date. The ip cams have been there over a year, my cctv recorder connected by cable has been there over 3 years. No problems until that date, it makes little or no sense to me but I will get to the bottom of it. One thing, it can't be this router for that but also, I could use the bank back then. If this is going to be a fairly common occurrence in the future, then Virgin need to put in robust measures to help customers that lack a degree in computer science resolve them. Not leave them hanging because it's 'Not their fault'.
0 Kudos
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 55 of 76
Flag for a moderator

In response to SCA1972

Simple, Bill gave me information to help myself better understand it and possibly tackle the problem. You may as well ask why should I believe you when all I got from Virgins calls was it's not our fault and nothing else. I didn't say I didn't believe you when you said it was an ip blocking. In fact I checked into it further and deeper. I ran a check on check my ip. I installed trends house call for home networks to try and find if there was a culprit. So, you are wrong when you say I didn't believe you when you said it was an ip problem. I even suggested that it might be so myself in one of my posts. What I am saying is that Virgin should not wash their hands of this sort of problem because they technically can. If I sold you a car and it started to run like a bag of sh*t after it had been serviced 6 months ago and you came back and I said,'It's not my fault' would you accept that and go away and leave me be? Nope! I also mentioned deja vu in a previous post. I have been here before many years ago when I was supplied an ip address that was on various blacklists but I can't remember if it was Virgin or NTL. Lastly, how would you feel if all of a sudden you couldn't do your banking securely using the service you paid for? Instead you have to use android mobile phone to do it, with no firewall or vpn running? This has gone on for a week now yet I get told if it's an ip blacklisting then it'll only last a couple of days. I'm sorry if you took umbrage at my reply to Bill and it ruffled your feathers, it wasn't meant to. It was meant to thank someone who finally made me feel as though I might do something positive about this sh*t storm I am in. The instructions and software he was kind enough to supply links for have enabled me to install and operate this software. Oh also he didn't open with 'It's not Virgins fault'! Do you know how many times I have been told that? Yet Virgin supplied me with the ip address. So, it's the banks fault for blocking the ip because it got a sniff of two malwares? I don't blame them and I won't blame Virgin if it comes back there is a malware infection on my network but for a company to just say "it's not our fault" and leave you screwed is unacceptable to my mind. I'm not totally ignorant nor stupid regards computers but this level of technicality is above my normal grade for this medium. Please not I didn't use capitals to shout "It's not Virgins fault" as you did with REALLY? There is nothing personal in any of my posts and certainly not against the people on here. If you take a look, I've been on here many times before and it's always been the same gripe, Virgins ability to create a problem wash their hands of it and say "It's surely not Virgins fault". Without you guys on here I would have left Virgin years ago had there been a comparable broadband supplier but there wasn't. Now there is and Virgin need to wake up and smell the coffee as they say. My posts on here will form a part of the complaint I am putting into Virgin. I expect them to find they are not at fault and I will then ask for a deadlock letter. That will then go in along with the complaint to the banks regarding their responses to this and I expect the same. That will then go to the banking ombudsman along with the details of this and maybe, just maybe, the powers that be will make them all get their heads out their b*ts and put something in place to resolve issues like this in a speedy manner. I can't help it, I'm an optimist. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 56 of 76
Flag for a moderator

Re: Proxyget

Proxy is an extremely common name/identifier/component in multiple languages (C, PHP, Java etc), and I cannot find “proxyget” listed anywhere as malware in its own right. Can you check the spelling in the VM letter. If you quote me the precise wording around this , I can ask the VM Forum Team to get clarification from the sender - or at least a link to a description of this. Did the letter have a sender address?

0 Kudos
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 57 of 76
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bill

The letter(s) was sent from Virgin Media Sunderland SR44 4AA. Their reference on the proxyget letter was VMIS5-Malware-F007672277. The wording was as follows-

How We Found The Problem

To protect our customers, we work with a number of not-for-profit organisations that gather information about internet connections that appear to be at risk of things like malware infections. On December 27th 2019, one detected that proxyget, a piece of malware, was present on a device using your internet connection.

What To Do Next

We recommend using anti-virus software (I use Windows Defender) to scan and clean up your devices (It scans daily). There are a number of trusted anti-virus software options available if you don't have one already.

For help with this, please visit virginmedia.com/malware

As well as using anti-virus software, Web Safe is available for free to Virgin fibre customers to help protect you against malware and viruses. (Already using it and was so back then).

That was copied from the letter ad verbatim with the bracketed addition of my status regards those items. The reference on the iotmirai letter was VMIS57-Mirai-F007672396 with the exact same date.

Thanks and just an aside, wireshark is clear still but only running the laptop check at the minute. G'night.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 58 of 76
Flag for a moderator

@deckhanddave Less umbrage and more genuine curiosity. Sorry for shouting I was just taken aback by your statement. 

I will bow out and leave you in @BillC45's capable hands.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Use Kudos to say thanks

deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 59 of 76
Flag for a moderator

Scott, as I said, it wasn't that I didn't believe you about the ip but Bill has given me a half a chance at resolving this or finding the culprit. I just wished that it had been suggested a week earlier as I might have had it sorted by now. I hope you understand where I am coming from in this and why it rankles me so much. There are many people that have less knowledge than I and if I am struggling what chance do they have? Also, even the government are making us more reliant on the internet and as for the banks, well, how many branch closures? Honestly, do you think it acceptable for both Virgin and the Banks to just fob paying customers off? I'm genuinely interested in hearing anyones opinion on that as I might be wrong in mine. I also noted you use a Netgear 7000. I've toyed with the idea of getting a 

NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S Smart Wi-Fi Router (R8000P) - AC4000 Tri-Band Wireless Speed (up to 4000 Mbps)...

I would like your opinion on that if you don't mind. As always I do appreciate you and anyone else taking the time to read some of my missives and trying to help, no matter how much or how little and I thank you for your input.

Dave

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 60 of 76
Flag for a moderator

@deckhanddave wrote:

Scott, as I said, it wasn't that I didn't believe you about the ip but Bill has given me a half a chance at resolving this or finding the culprit. I just wished that it had been suggested a week earlier as I might have had it sorted by now. I hope you understand where I am coming from in this and why it rankles me so much. There are many people that have less knowledge than I and if I am struggling what chance do they have? Also, even the government are making us more reliant on the internet and as for the banks, well, how many branch closures? Honestly, do you think it acceptable for both Virgin and the Banks to just fob paying customers off? I'm genuinely interested in hearing anyones opinion on that as I might be wrong in mine.

Not so much you might be, you are. Sorry if that sounds harsh, its not meant to.

In your analogy of a car, you are contacting the company that built the road you are driving on, not the dealer. Ill expand below.

I also noted you use a Netgear 7000. I've toyed with the idea of getting a 

NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S Smart Wi-Fi Router (R8000P) - AC4000 Tri-Band Wireless Speed (up to 4000 Mbps)...

I would like your opinion on that if you don't mind.

Nice piece of kit, probably overkill, but will allow for expanding LAN side (which it sounds like its likely you will do)

As always I do appreciate you and anyone else taking the time to read some of my missives and trying to help, no matter how much or how little and I thank you for your input.

Dave

Just to expand on VM's responsibility. Its pretty clear cut once someone explains it clearly. Your HUB is a router/modem in one. It connects your LAN (your responsibility) to the WAN (VM's responsibility) think of it like a boundary wall on your property.

In fact VM should not (and cannot) look LAN side to see what's wrong.

Its illegal for a start (Computer Misuse Act 1990)

Its also likely to infringe  European HR legislature, which for expediency Ill not get into. 

Its immoral- ISP's HAVE to be neutral and treat ALL WAN data the same, except where prevented by Court Order.

Virgin have partnered with a 3rd party to analyse WAN side traffic and specifically what port it originates from,what type of traffic it is, and where it is going. This gives a kind of " fingerprint" which can indicate malware LAN side, but they are prevented by statute to look LAN side to confirm.

For the record, I'm not going to name the 3rd party as VM seem shy about saying who it is. TBF, those who know them would, in the vast majority of cases, trust their reports far more than the Norton's or Kaspersky's of this world who have an agenda to push.

Here endeth the lesson.

HOWEVER

To be clear, VM have no legal liability here, but there is IMHO a customer service issue.

As noted above, best weapon we have to diagnose these issues comes from a volunteer post, buried in a forum, that is buried 3 links deep in their web page.

TBF dunno what they should be doing, thats above my pay-grade.But clearer information on the letters, alongside some focus front and centre on the website, would be a start.

But the attitude seems to be, "Its fine, Tim will sort it out". Whilst I would like to add my thanks for the back breaking work @ravenstar68 has done on this, there really should be more official help available.

Use Kudos to say thanks