Menu
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 31 of 76
Flag for a moderator

Re: Finally had it with Virgin(I sound like a broken record)

Still the same. As per the monologue above.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 32 of 76
Flag for a moderator

Hi deckhanddave, 

Can you confirm if you've cleared your Cache & Cookies?

Have you tried accessing these websites from different browsers or on a different device while connected to Virgin?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 33 of 76
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Yes I can confirm about clearing cache and cookies. If you read the missive I wrote it tells you exactly what has been tried and all the different flavours used. To summarise. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. On a laptop, netbook and Android phone (except the edge). Connected to Virgin and failed. Disconnected from Virgin using mobile internet, success. Disconnected from Virgin and using laptop connected to Mobile as a hotspot, success. The only common denominator for failing is my Virgin broadband. By the way, don't take my mentioning reading the missive the wrong way, I mention it because I have jumped through so many hoops at Virgins insistence that you need to read it to get the full picture of what has been tried, inc tracert results.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 34 of 76
Flag for a moderator

As has been mentioned the blacklist sites you are on are email spam blacklists and not relevant to this issue.

If it is an IP block then it is the site (or their security partner) doing the blocking not VM so in that sense it is not VM's fault and they can't make these other sites remove the block.  The best way to test this is put the hub into modem mode as this will allocate you a new IP address.  If the sites are accessible in modem mode then it is indeed an IP block, if not then there is something else blocking the sites.  Note, in modem mode you have no WiFi just a single Ethernet connection so I'm not suggesting it as a solution but just a test to prove or disprove the IP block theory.

A lot of big sites outsource their web site security and so a block from one site can result in a block on many sites, if they all use the same security partner.  We have seen on here in the past a Sony PSN ban also resulting in blocks on the eBay and Ikea web sites.  In that case all of those companies use Akamai to provide their web security.

There is a site to check if IP address is banned by Akamai:
https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup/

I have no idea if these blocked sites use Akamai or not but it might be worth a try to see if it does list anything for your router mode IP.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 35 of 76
Flag for a moderator

Just done the Akai test the result was clear. The Modem mode was fun. I did it and tried to get a connection using a cable but all I got was no valid ip configuration. Finally got connected and checked the sites, the halifax didn't work, Tesco and Natwest did. Back on wireless and Tesco and Natwest are still working, Halifax and Moneyspinner, oops, moneysaver that Martin lewis site, are not.

0 Kudos
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 36 of 76
Flag for a moderator

I just had a quick thought, if I have a 'Bad' ip address and Virgin give me that ip address, how is it not their fault? Sure, they are not the ones blocking it but the banks have a responsibility to their customers to prevent fraud whereas Virgin have no responsibility to their customers to provide useable ips and when they don't to help resolve the problem. Instead Virgin just stick their heads up their aristotles and say " Surely, it is not Virgin Medias fault that is creating this problem, can we close the ticket as resolved?". Leaving said customer with days of aggro and not being able to do his online banking, which he has for 20+ years.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 37 of 76
Flag for a moderator

@deckhanddave wrote:

Just done the Akai test the result was clear. The Modem mode was fun. I did it and tried to get a connection using a cable but all I got was no valid ip configuration. Finally got connected and checked the sites, the halifax didn't work, Tesco and Natwest did. Back on wireless and Tesco and Natwest are still working, Halifax and Moneyspinner, oops, moneysaver that Martin lewis site, are not.

Weird, usually in the case of an IP ban the new modem mode IP should have allowed access the same as your mobile data does.

Tesco and Natwest are both owned / operated by RBS and are probably running with the same security setup, so both of them working or not working at the same time does suggest an IP ban by that group of companies, or their security provider.  A Google of the error codes suggest similar codes on other non banking sites, so either these are standard errors associated with a particular web platform or a particular security provider.  The bans are almost always temporary, as they know that residential IP addresses are shared between customers of the ISP, so it may be that your router IP is now unbanned with the RBS group at least.  If that is the case the others should follow in a day or two.

I only scanned your original post (TL;DR) and saw mention of a malware letter from VM.  Was this before or after the recent change of hub?  The reason I'm, asking is that it could have been malware that triggered the IP ban. 

As for the "bad" IP, I don't see how it would be viable for VM to check constantly to make sure that all their IPs are not blacklisted by any web site.  If the ban was triggered by malware on your LAN then the IP was made "bad" by something on your side. 

I agree that the phone support have handled it badly, but poor customer service (on the phone at least) is not unique to VM.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 38 of 76
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott

The letters arrived about the same time so there is a possible crossover. The two malware notices are regards Proxyget and Mirai. I did a Trend micro check online and also used their House Call for Home Networks. My computer uses Defender and windows own firewall. There was no indication of any Malware but there were a couple of warnings of vulnerable ports  being known to be used by hackers for those Malwares. I telephoned the bank and they said it is my provider who is causing the problem not them. So the bank say not us and Virgin say not us that leaves me royally screwed and stressed out to hell not being able to do my internet banking except over a very un-secure mobile data link. What choice am I left with? Paying for an incomplete service or do the sensible thing and move? I know if I go off my Virgin broadband everything works again.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 39 of 76
Flag for a moderator

Have never used Trend Micro, so can't comment on the reliability of their software, but vulnerable ports doesn't sound good.  Personally I use Malwarebytes Premium to protect my PC.

Malware is not my area of expertise so I'm just going by what I found on Google.  Mirai appears to be a Linux based malware so will not be infecting a Windows PC, more likely an IoT device like one of your CCTV cameras.  A quick search for Proxyget doesn't reveal much.

Not surprised the bank denied it, Sony do the same when folks get an IP ban on PSN and call them to complain.  This is either because the first line phone staff don't have a script for this, or more likely the security provider is doing the blocking so the bank have no idea or control over the block.  I bank with Halifax and have no issue accessing their site, if VM were blocking it (deliberately or by accident) we would be seeing a lot more posts on this forum.

If the ban was triggered by malware on your LAN and that malware still exists, then moving ISP will not solve the problem.  You will get a new IP and it will get a ban instead of the VM one.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 40 of 76
Flag for a moderator

Then how is it that it works when I disconnect from Virgin but use my mobile broadband as a hotspot for my LAN? The only time I can connect to all four sites with no problem is when I move off Virgin then I have no problem. I don't know if it's me but I seem to be going round in circles here and with Virgin on the phone. I accept that you are all far more qualified than I in these matters but it seems simplistic to me, if I use Virgin I can't connect, if I use anything else I can. So what would any of you do? Just because someone says it is so, doesn't make it so. All I see is, I had problems recently that entailed a new router. I installed the new router and had problems installing it, as can be seen by the log on the router. When I finally got it working, I find problems with first, the Halifax, then Tesco, Natwest and moneysaving forum. The only help I get is Virgin saying it isn't them and the bank saying it isn't them. Yet prior to this, I have happily banked with all three online for years. Could it have been a Windows update? maybe but I can't see one for around the date I changed routers. So the problem has just miraculously appeared.

0 Kudos