Menu
Highlighted
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 121 of 123
Flag for a moderator

Re: Finally had it with Virgin(I sound like a broken record)

Hi Kippies, it's all fair and well saying I must have done something but when ALL the Av's and other checks you have done come up clear, except for a few PUPs as I mentioned, then to me that is evidence that there was no malware infection on my Laptop, Nas drives and IoT per se. That there was malware coming from the ip I don't doubt but the one thing that has cleared it is the removal of the old router and the use of a new one. We could go around and around with this, you telling me it was me and something I did that stopped it and me saying yes I changed the router and that all the checks were clear. It's irrelevant now as to whose fault it was but what I have is a need to know and understand where this came from. I have one last avenue to explore in that matter and that is to talk to AV and pay them to investigate it and report back to me. This has gone on for a month and to be frank I've had enough of it. As you may of seen on my more recent posts that while I have now got no problem accessing my banks I do have a problem with Wifi signal where there wasn't one before. Streaming from one V6 to the other is broken and halting, sometimes it just disappears. In respect of the hotspot the answer was no, to my knowledge. I never turned it on. As for others having a similar problem, I aren't aware of any but there has been others on here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 122 of 123
Flag for a moderator

@deckhanddave 

I've checked with our security team again and I can confirm that no further traffic has been reported, so that's all good.

As per @Kippies point and the advice I've had from the security team, and sorry to harp on, but the router wouldn't be capable of sending malicious traffic in the same way as a device connected to it. Firmware is deployed via the CMTS and it's locked down, as suggested.

Some of the specific types of infection would bypass the router as well, specifically those with 'win32' and 'iot' in the name. I can only share your frustration that you've not managed to find the culprit, but the likelihood is all the work done on your end has cleared things and it's coincidental that the router was changed at the same time. The last report we see from the data I've received was this one:

2020-01-20 23:22:54Z,,win32/sality,,microsoft dcu

Good luck in finding out the culprit, I hope you're able to get some clarity and I'm sorry it couldn't come from us. As for the connectivity issues, just pop a thread in our Networking and WiFi board and I'll get a member of the team to pick it up for you.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Highlighted
deckhanddave
Dialled in
Message 123 of 123
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kev. Thanks for the response. I'm not bothered about the connectivity issue any more. As I've been out of contract for some time I gave Virgin my 30 day notice yesterday. I'm fed up of fighting with them. If it isn't one thing it's another. If I aren't manually rebooting my router it's dropped signals. After 20 years+ with the same company from when it was Cable and Wireless and NTL, then from the beginning of it being Virgin until now, I think it's time to try something else. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of those who read this post and gave input on this problem. I'm sorry it didn't turn out better than it did but as they say "Sh*t happens" and it certainly did for me this time round. One last mention on the router swap. I checked right before switching and I couldn't connect to the banks. I put the new router on and the first thing I tried was connecting to the bank sites and I could. I've never put the old one back on to see if it was still being blocked. That would have been interesting I think. Anyway, this has taken over my life for the past month and it is time for me to move onwards and upwards,,"Thank you all " again for reading this post and your help with it. The fact you all give your time freely, I believe, means you are all heroes or saints, I aren't sure which but either will do.