Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Finally had it with Virgin(I sound like a broken record)

So, Nov 'ish I had a week with no broadband service so went and bought a mifi to cover the period as it had been intermittent at best for a while.Cost inc Data allowance £40.00 which I thought with the allowance for lack of service provided but paid for by the account sucker(Me) would reduce a little. Well, blow me down, there was no such amendment to my bill but they took the full amount. Hey ho, should I be surprised really? Anyway, last Thurs/Fri, my broadband went down again! This time they sent me a new router. Well isn't that fun. We now have amazon Alexa around the house which all had to be reinstalled individually for some reason so thats 5 of the buggers to do. I've also got a Wifi extender which I bought myself that now has to be re-installed. Then there's my Meross light bulbs of which there are 4, along with 4 sockets. Oh, then there's my wireless connected Tivo box. This all sounds so much fun assuming they all behave good and play nicely by doing what they are supposed to do! Ha! In your blood dreams. Oh and I forgot the two wifi indoor time2 cctv cameras, still haven't got them working again yet. Oh, and there's the matter of my cctv recorder and not being able to get through the firewall to view it from outside my network. Still, I can stay home and watch it, oh hang on, why bother having it if I'm not going to go out! Still I can always get help from my well paid provider of pain, drum roll please!, Virgin Media! Just go and post on the forum for help. 

Well, now to cap all that I have received two lovely letters from Virgin telling me I have two malware infestations, Merry Christmas! So, do they tell me how to identify where the little buggers are hiding? No because they don't know. Do they tell me what I can do to sort it, sort of but as always, if your not sure go to the forum. They say talking helps. Anyway, I follow the crumbs to the pages for Mirai and summat called Poxygit, sorry, Proxyget. Well that was a waste of time. Do this do that but all obscure as to what the hell to do it to. So, there's mention of a wonderful app provided by my benevolent service provider, drum roll please maestro-Virgin Media-tada! It says it help protect you from malware and viruses but hey guess what, I already had it and it's turned on! Bit crap at it's job innit? So all is not lost yet, there is a mention somewhere on all these damned open tabs of going to your router page, login in and checking what is allowed on the DMZ, Demilitarised zone????t get this, it's ticked disabled! Oh but hang on, it's a new router and the infection might have been on something using the old router and the setting could be different! Oh well, if that's the case, I don't need to worry until I can figure out how to connect everything back up, so where's all that help, oh I forget, I'm here. All this and suffering Norovirus and heart failure, congratulations Virgin, I actually lost the will to live on Saturday. I was with this company since it was cable and wireless and all through it's different id's to the one it has today. That is many years of stupidity, idleness, misplaced trust and the fear of moving based on 'better the devil you know than the one you don't'. Mainly it is my own fault, I should have walked years ago but Virgin must take a fair chunk of the blame. Their never ending lies and broken promises. Their poor quality equipment and service. Whenever you get an engineer out it is always something that the previous one did wrong that has caused your problems. It gets working again ok but only for a period before it starts going wrong again. Lastly, I am now getting error messages regarding DNS errors etc. The stuff that if you Google it it leads you to pages saying that the server didn't respond because you took to bloody long to ask it what you want. 

Anyway, if anyone wants to join me in this dark dirty sticky mire of Virgin media crappery, please feel free to take on any or all of the aforementioned problems. Like -How do I figure this malware out? How do I access my cctv video again? (Hi stagetechuk- are you still here or have you escaped? God you were a shining light in this dark cesspit of Virgin Crappery last time.I am trying hard not to impose on you and PM you, begging for help!). Note to Virgin Media- you should offer this sort of technical help as a paid service but at reduced rates to us higher end paying customers. This is how it appears to me, I have two choices-stay or go. Stay and I continue to put up with the constant problems of Virgin and it's half hearted service. Go, I leave all that behind and start again. If I start again, I go for UFO and the savings I make are used to purchase a high end router or mesh system and some support from a small local company whom deal with this sh*t on a daily basis. If I do this second, I can probably learn some of what I need to know from them but also be able to call on them anytime I need help.Sure, it'll cost me but guess what, I'm prepared to pay for some help when I need it. Sure, I won't pay stupid figures but if they play fair with me I'll be fair with them. I know which is sounding the best way forward.

God that feels so much better. I hope some of the humour I tried to inject by way of sarcasm gives anyone reading it a laugh but I needed to get that out there. Thanks to anyone who takes on reading this for showing interest.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Re: Finally had it with Virgin(I sound like a broken record)

Rather than changing dozens of wifi devices I would have just made the hub the same wifi code as the old hub...

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately the SSID changed and everything kept trying to log in to the old SSID. I couldn't see a way to change it as I didn't have any internet to look see. That is until I got the new router connected up but I couldn't find a way to change the SSID. It may be lack of knowledge on my part but what use is a forum online for help when your broadband goes down? As for using my mobile, Ican never get it to work well and can't read it when it does.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 125
Flag for a moderator

You just needed to log into the Hub user interface and change the SSID and password to the same as the old hub.  You don't need an internet connection to do this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 125
Flag for a moderator

I thought that but when I tried I couldn't get it to connect. I typed in the url 192.168.0.1. but it never connected and I couldn't look it up. I know it's not all Virgins fault but when you pay £110 month and have been with them since before it was Virgin, is it really too much to ask to be able to pick up the phone and have someone help you out? Bear in mind, I don't work in IT but have a fair knowledge of it but rarely have to do anything major on a regular basis. That and all the dropped wifi and server errors connecting. It becomes very stressful and I just want it to end. We now have UFO which I can get for 24 months at £24.00 pm & no price rise within the contract period. It is a very very serious contender.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Further post on this issue. My internet went down yet again yesterday evening. Nothing worked. My wifi connected Tivo box, my streaming services, the whole damned lot. I gave up doing router restarts and windows diagnostics etc. I got up at 04.00 hrs this morning to find it back on. I wonder for how long. This is being written at 04.19 and so far my new year has been Virgin media problems first thing in the morning and last thing at night, every day.  What really makes me lose my will to live? I'm paying nearly £1320.00 a year for Virgin to do this to me. Is there a Psychiatrist anywhere on here???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post Deckhanddave and sorry to hear you're experiencing some ongoing broadband issues.

Could we please confirm if you've recently had an engineer out to investigate this further? As if this is still occurring we would need to book a follow up appointment to find a permanent fix to this for you. 

In regards to logging into your Hub to change any WiFi settings, I'll include a link here which may help with this.

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily G.

My broadband miraculously started working on its own at 04.00am yesterday but for how long I don't know. Thanks for showing an interest though. I've pretty much decided I am going to start from the ground up with my internet, router, wifi etc. I can't tolerate any more of this aggro and am pretty sure I will be moving to Yorks UFO by Talk Talk. The only reason I haven't already is that Talk Talk have such a bad rep, even worse than Virgins in my view. So because of that I have been looking into the UFO service and weirdly can't find much about it other than sales pitch. Very little in complaints reports of down time and the such but lots about Talk Talks lack of customer service. I joined their forum to see if I could fathom it out and it seems the lack of complaints is because they are few and far between regards the UFO service. Even it's customer service is separate to their normal one and is dedicated to UFO alone. I will be deciding in the next few days and then giving notice on my service. Before I do that I might ask accounts how many years I have been with Virgin. I've actually been with the same company since the beginning when computers ran on Doss and then Win3. It's time I learnt not to be scared of the great unknown. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 125
Flag for a moderator

Grrrrrrr, 504 Gateway errors starting again. Glad I'm going out.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 125
Flag for a moderator

So, my Wifi has been working ok it seemed until I got up this moaning (Deliberate play on words). I tried to access my online banking and couldn't. I got 

Sorry, an error has occurred [Error: 1007 ID: 49695671]

So I tried my mobile app and got the same damned error but ID 19971497. I then check for an outage but nothing is showing, now I'm concerned. I rang customer services and told them of my problem and they check to see if there is a problem with online services etc.. That comes back as all ok. So now both my bank and myself are concerned in case some nefarious identity has hijacked by bank account so they put me through to their online team. Get chatting to a lovely guy who checks my account and says there is nothing suspicious in my activity and suggests I disconnect from my wifi on my phone and try the app again. I do that and lo and behold the app works! So, it is something to do with my Virgin Wifi. Aaaarrgh!

0 Kudos