Menu
Smdgie
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Faudulent Calls

Just had a call, pro-porting to come from virgin Media, advising that my internet line is unsafe, and that some one is using my connection.

Cannot get through to VM, the number was [REMOVED]

Have run a virus scan no reports.

Any one else had the same?

Have been receiving calls from.

my ' service provider' that my internet is going to be disconnected.  Now they are morphing into my service provider

Unable to reach Virgin Media to report or talk.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Faudulent Calls

No point in reporting it. There are thousands of calls like this being received every day from scam call centres in India using bulk dialling techniques. You will find many posts on this forum, & customers of all providers are getting them.

Ignore the numbers you see on caller display as these are fake, or more often (as is the case with this one) a clone of a genuine number. The one you have posted belongs to a company in Manchester. They are nothing to do with the scam, so I will ask the forum mods to remove the number from your post.

The only way to avoid these calls is a call filtering phone.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Mojo59
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have just had a woman call me to say that VM are aware that people are trying to access my account,foreign accent. Said they don’t want to lose me and she could help me stay secure,i said how can I be sure she’s not a scammer, she gave me an employee number and a London address for VM,call centre noise in background, she said she would help me stay safe and asked what device I was using, all sounding plausible. But,when I hesitated,she started getting pushy, I told her I was hanging up, cut her off mid sentence.

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Mojo59 wrote:

I have just had a woman call me to say that VM are aware that people are trying to access my account,foreign accent. <snip>

Same scam, slightly different method of attack.

0 Kudos
Mojo59
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Someone very tech savvy indeed. Sadly I’m not, but I knew there wasn’t something quite right. People could actually fall for this,I have texted my friends who are with VM to give them a heads up

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Mojo59 wrote:

Someone very tech savvy indeed. Sadly I’m not, but I knew there wasn’t something quite right. People could actually fall for this,I have texted my friends who are with VM to give them a heads up

Sadly, many have fallen for it and many will in the future. At least you realised something was up and ended the call.

If they call again, hang up without speaking to them or simply do not answer unknown caller IDs. Screen them later by answering machine.

For future ref, VM do not not make unsolicited outbound calls to customers on matters of tech support or security. So if you get one like that out of the blue, it isn't VM.

It's less to do with tech skills and more to do with spotting the general signs and patterns of a scam call/email etc. See the link below from the government National Cyber Security Centre

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/suspicious-email-actions#section_4

Further advice in the two booklets below from the Met Police

https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/media/downloads/central/advice/fraud/met/little-booklet-of-p...

https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/media/downloads/central/advice/fraud/met/the-little-book-of-...

0 Kudos
Mojo59
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just had another call, different number and person [REMOVED],I have caller ID,normally I don’t answer a number I don’t know,but I’m waiting on an important call,so I’m having to answer my landline,don’t have answering service. She said practically the same as the other caller, but I told her it was a scam and I hung up

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Mojo59 wrote:

Just had another call, different number and person ,I have caller ID,normally I don’t answer a number I don’t know,but I’m waiting on an important call,so I’m having to answer my landline,don’t have answering service. She said practically the same as the other caller, but I told her it was a scam and I hung up

As per my post further up the thread, PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT POST THE NUMBERS THE SCAMMERS ARE SPOOFING.

Yet again this is a clone of a genuine number, belonging to an innocent Virgin Media customer in Telford. They have nothing to do with the scam, & to protect their identitiy & stop them from getting possibly abusive calls I have asked it to be removed.

Thanks

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Mojo59 wrote:

Just had another call, different number and person <snip>,I have caller ID,normally I don’t answer a number I don’t know,but I’m waiting on an important call,so I’m having to answer my landline,don’t have answering service. She said practically the same as the other caller, but I told her it was a scam and I hung up

If the calls become too troublesome, consider a phone upgrade to deal with them. I use a call screening device as mentioned at message #2 above.

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

and there are BT phones available which have trueCall technology built in (look for that in the product description).

The devices require unknown callers to say who they are and press a key on their phone before the call is allowed to progress and ring your home phone. The automated scam callers cannot respond to this and so the call is dropped without your phone ringing.

Known callers logged in the phonebook of the device ring through without any screening. Genuine unknown callers, such as doctors, hospitals etc., are able to complete the screening process and still get through.

0 Kudos
Mojo59
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Oh,I’m sorry,I never thought about that,i totally understand.

0 Kudos