Menu
rgeast
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Fake VirginMedia Emails

Is "email@em.virginmedia.com" a genuine VirginMedia email address? An email from this address starts:

"Hello,

At a time when the whole country has pulled together, it’s a sad fact that there are fraudsters and scammers who want to take advantage of us. With that in mind, we wanted to get in touch about ways to keep your details safe.

Whether it’s silence, robot callers, spam or vishing (like phishing, but over the phone), fraudulent calls and texts come in lots of annoying shapes. At best, these calls are frustrating – but at their worst, they can cost us time, money and sleep.

Virgin Media will never contact you for sensitive personal info like passwords, bank details, or other personal security info. When we first talk to you, we’ll ask you to confirm you’re the account holder and for 3 random characters of your account password. If you don’t have a password on your account, or you can’t provide the 3 random password characters, we’ll ask for you to answer a general security question and two financially related security questions. This might then include asking you to confirm your bank sort code.

So, if someone says they’re with us, then asks for your precious details (often with an urgent or intimidating tone), please hang up. If it’s a threatening call, you should call the police, who’ll liaise with us."

This doesn't sound like a scammer but all the links are to 'em.virginmedia.com'. Is that a valid Virgin Media website?

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Fake VirginMedia Emails

Hi rgeast,

Yes that's a genuine VM email. I also received that one today

It also provides the following genuine link home-phone-nuisance-calls 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

yes its real but anyone can spoof any email so never trust an email from the address alone
0 Kudos
rgeast
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I probably wouldn't have been that suspicious had not MS Outlook decided it was 'Junk'. I had to turn off VM's spam filter as it trapped too many genuine emails, including some from VM itself.
0 Kudos