Menu
Highlighted
ahrbee
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Fake E-Mail Said to be from Virgin Media

I am writing to draw attention to a very authentic looking e-mail purporting to come from Virgin Media. It says my latest payment has failed and suggests I click on a link to update my details before my service is cut off in only 4 days time. It is a fake.

I know such e-mails are not uncommon but this one is very well done and was not picked up as junk mail. It was sent by virginmedia@customerservice.com, not from virginmedia.com. It was addressed to my e-mail address and not to me personally as other e-mails from Virgin Media are.

I am very aware of fakes but this one had me going for a brief spell.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fake E-Mail Said to be from Virgin Media

this is well known e.g. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Fraudulent-calls-amp-emails-pretending-to-be-f...

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ahrbee
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As I mentioned, I am well aware of fakes but the distinguishing feature of this one was that it looked very authentic. Some scam merchants are becoming very good at their trade although, admittedly, there are still plenty who you can see a mile off. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

'Some scam merchants are becoming very good at their trade'

yep that is partly because they have english speaking, english born people working for them now. i'm surprised the media haven't picked up on this. as an anti scammer i am aware scammers now know that poor spelling and grammar/content is more easily identifiable as a scam, hence an influx of english born staff recruited.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Messybeast
Dialled in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This one was so well done that I came here to see if it was reported.  

Hovering over the link on the email is still the big giveaway, it's a strange string of letters.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ahrbee
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am surprised that even English-born scammers can spell and construct sentences correctly these days. There are plenty of examples of English-born people who cannot or simply cannot be bothered to do so. 

Highlighted
dordy_boy
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hiya,

Have just received this from virginmedia@billingdesk.com. 

Dear <email address>

Our accounts administration detect that your last bill payment declined, some of the billing information associated with your account has expired or missing.

Your service is now pending for automatic disconnection on: 17 February 2020.

If you want to continue the Virgin Media service you need to sign in and complete the billing verification.

Click here to sign in (takes you to https://iamallin.com/skamdas/?v=2 )

Once you have complete the billing verification, your bill will be processed shortly and the automatic disconnection removed.

Thank you for being a Virgin Media customer!

Kind rеgards,

The Viгgin Mеdiа team

I assume this another fake email

Regards

Jonathan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@dordy_boy looks like its coming from germany but that could just be one point in the location were data is sent.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for reaching out with regards to this suspicious email, I do apologise that you've received this. You'll see that this particular phishing email is listed in our latest phishing update, so we are already aware of it and have flagged it within our system.

For future reference, we do keep our Security Matters board updated with the latest phishing scams we've identified. You can also forward any dubious email purporting to be from Virgin Media to us at phishing@virginmedia.com. Any which are returned as spam have already been logged internally.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos