Menu
pf1017
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Excessive amount of SPAM

Since Virgin allowed  our data to be hacked the increase in SPAM has been 30 fold and now excessive! What is happening to the Security of our EMAILS. This excessive SPAM should be stopped at source. How will it be stopped. Local blacklisting does not work! 

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Excessive amount of SPAM

Do consider not referring to the incident as a hack because it gives a false impression that ingenuity / skill was involved when it was not; data was open to access by anyone. Those affected by the incident were notified by Virgin Media.

If you are unable to switch email service to a provider that:

• has security that is equal to or greater than the services it will be used with
  • is not linked to continuing use of another service, i.e. if broadband service is terminated with ISP then email address is permanently deleted
  • has better spam filtering functionality

then consider using the filter rule detailed here Re: I want spam.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
pf1017
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Excessive amount of SPAM

Thanks for the info..  Yes perhaps using the word "Hacked" might not be accurate. Using a stolen e-mail from Virgin I believe cause the initial problem of excessive spam for us all, yes we all get the odd one previously having had this e-mail for years.. But now, well.

But to say move to an ISP that 

• has better spam filtering functionality

is avoiding the issue that e-mails were stolen and that has caused I believe the problem.   I have used up all my Blacklist spots and have reverted to blocking "contains "  12345.ru etc

The issue is that we need feedback from Virgin to say what they are doing to assist us.  I have spoken to Service a number of times with no luck.

So perhaps you can use your best endeavours to push them for a corporate response!

Many Tks  

0 Kudos