Menu
Davehob
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Email

Hi my virginmedia.com email has been hacked I have phoned you up and I must say you where no help whatsoever. I need this sorted ASAP I have changed my password on my account but this has not helped whatsoever. Can somebody please help me 

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email

If having followed the guidance here My Virgin Media account has been hacked the email account remains compromised please detail how so; do not post any information that is private or uniquely identifiable here without first redacting it, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com  redacted to [redacted]@virginmedia.com.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Davehob
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I done all the obvious things like change your password. I am getting emails to say I have changed my account passwords on various apps and sites when I try and change the passwords whoever is doing it has set up mobile verification so I can not access anything. I have phoned virgin who tell me I need to change my password I have already done this and it is still happening 

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The issue is no longer with your re-secured Virgin Media email account but with the services it is linked with. Unfortunately with the miscreants having enable multifactor authentication on those accounts recover may prove difficult. Try contacting the site / app operators for further advice using the email address you registered with them.

Out of curiosity, are you able to name one of the sites affected by this issue?

0 Kudos
Davehob
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I been ringing the sites affected but some of them I can’t get a contact number. 

uber is one very difficult to get a contact number 

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Try Uber's online form here, I can't sign in to my account.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Davehob wrote:

I done all the obvious things like change your password.

I am sure you have followed all the advice the link VIP  用心棒 gave in his post but many people think that merely changing the password is enough to secure their VM email account......believe me it isn't.  😮

For example, unless you have also changed your security questions and answers in your 'My Virgin Media' account the hacker may well have enough information to still be able to take over your account and effectively lock you out completely.

Also, you need to check that the hacker has not made changes to your VM Webmail account such a setting up rules to divert certain incoming emails to another email address. Those changes may not be obvious unless you actually check the settings in your Webmail account.

Here is that link again https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Davehob
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi I can’t even look at my emails in my virgin account all I get is 

Sorry. Your mailbox is not available at the moment. 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Davehob wrote:

Hi I can’t even look at my emails in my virgin account all I get is 

Sorry. Your mailbox is not available at the moment. 

That is a likely indication that Virgin Media have temporarily locked the email account due to the suspicious activity.

The VM Forum Team Staff will be along shortly to assist you further with this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums Davehob, and a very warm welcome to you!

I'm terribly sorry to hear of the hacking of the E-Mail account, can you please confirm if you're the account holder for the Media account that the E-mail address is attached to?

If you are, I can seek to change the memorable word on the primary E-Mail account that will hopefully stop the hacker from locking you out. If this is a secondary E-Mail account, the memorable word change will be for the self-care account, which will allow you to manage the secondary E-Mail accounts

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos