Menu
aaronhowe
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Email locked again, "suspicious activity"

For the second time in just over a week, VM have locked my Blueyonder email account due to suspicious activity.  As advised I've run a virus scan, and unsurprisingly there are no issues.  I have checked in as many places as I can to see if my settings are off, and they are not - I think this is down to the "update" to the spam filters, I remember having a similar problem before.

Amongst the problems though, are that I can't check if my email is logged in in any other location, I can only sign out of all sessions (which I do, and it doesn't seem to help).  I know my internet connection is secure (I'm on a hub 3.0 and have done everything I can to secure it) so I know that's not the issue - I'm sure it's the faulty scanners.  If I could I'd have a more secure password but VM doesn't let you use special characters or a password of over ten characters in length, which is utterly stupid.

How can I prevent VM from locking my account every week?  If it wasn't for the fact I already have long-established contacts using my old email I'd have moved over to Google Mail long before now.

0 Kudos
goslow
Community elder
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email locked again, "suspicious activity"

You listed a compelling set of reasons to ditch VM email. Making the gradual move away from VM email does take a bit of time and effort but it is well worth it eventually to move to a better service provider with greater reliability and security features.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi aaronhowe,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you've had some issues with your email account, if you are sending a high volume if emails frequently this could be why the mailbox is being locked regularly.

You can view here the outlines of the terms regarding this.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
RD00752
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I had this happen to me yesterday.  Blueyonder email locked.  This might have been my fault as I lost patience with a handful of email scammers and replied “unsubscribe” to them all, however as each reply started with “unsubscribe” repeated 10 times, I suspect the suspicion sniffer (or whatever it’s proper name is) reckoned that I had sent 10 times the emails in a short period of time, around 10 minutes, and erroneously jumped to the wrong conclusion.  I suspect subtlety isn’t a design feature!!

I’ll look around for better ways of unsubscribing…. Or at least safer than throwing my toys out of  the pram!

0 Kudos
goslow
Community elder
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@RD00752 wrote:

I had this happen to me yesterday.  Blueyonder email locked.  This might have been my fault as I lost patience with a handful of email scammers and replied “unsubscribe” to them all, however as each reply started with “unsubscribe” repeated 10 times, I suspect the suspicion sniffer (or whatever it’s proper name is) reckoned that I had sent 10 times the emails in a short period of time, around 10 minutes, and erroneously jumped to the wrong conclusion.  I suspect subtlety isn’t a design feature!!

I’ll look around for better ways of unsubscribing…. Or at least safer than throwing my toys out of  the pram!

Unsubscribing from a legitimate company's spam marketing material, using their unsubscribe feature/button, should result in less emails from them.

'Unsubscribing' by replying to a scam email does nothing more than confirm that your email address is live and someone using it is willing to respond to scam messages. Result will be more of the same or perhaps even more scam emails if your address gets added to a scammers' list and sold on. Just ignore the spam/scam messages or filter or block them.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good Morning @RD00752, thanks for your post and welcome to our Community Forums!

Have you been able to have the E-Mail address unlocked or does this require the input of our Forum Team?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
RD00752
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I managed to unlock it by changing the password and waiting 15 minutes, presumably for any cached memory of the last locked rejection to go.

The real reason might be different but the 15 minute wait seemed to have been important!

Also ran a complete virus checker on my computers which found nothing to quarantine, so the locking was probably self inflicted.

thanks for asking.  Bob

0 Kudos
Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update Bob, glad  to hear you managed to get this sorted. 

If you have any issues from here, please pop another post on this thread and we'll happily assist. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos