Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Email hacked

Hi guys, my email account was compromised over the week-end, I didn't realise until last night that the attackers actually had control of my email account as I can see they have deleted email. I am not too sure to what extent they had control as they didn't attempt to change my password and lock me out. They did whoever hijack my steam account and lock me out of that, thankfully I have got that back. I have now changed passwords and enabled 2 factor authentication where possible. What I would like thou, is to get my emails restored, I take it Virgin will have backups of these, I know where I work they need to keep backups for legal reasons and I assume it will be the same at VM, how would I go about getting the backups restored? The attack emanated out of Russia as I could see the email address they changed my steam account too had a .ru domain, pretty sure it was just kids as they had only gone after my Steam (I hope). I am hoping they didn't attempt to change my password on VM as they couldn't understand English enough, I am keeping my fingers crossed that I have been lucky and it was a wake up call. I wouldn't mind I knew my passwords were unsanitary, the big leaks that have taken place over the last couple of years should have been enough for me to have made changes, I wouldn't mind I have worked in IT for nearly 40 years so I should have know better.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email hacked

Hi yakacm,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear of the situation with your emails,

So I can take a closer look, I've popped you over a private message so I can get a few more details from you (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos