Menu
deaton
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Email hacked. PW changed OK. VM make passwords secure!!!!

Hello,

I've had a secondary email account hacked. I've changed the password and can login to the account, but I still can't access the email. I've phoned VM twice and today had a letter telling me the account was locked.

I can wait for it to be unlocked, if that's going to happen, but my issue is that passwords for email are not secure. Maximum 10 characters and only letters and numbers. Longer passwords and special characters please. Maybe consider MFA?

#justsaying

David

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email hacked. PW changed OK. VM make passwords secure!!!!

@deaton wrote:

but my issue is that passwords for email are not secure. Maximum 10 characters and only letters and numbers. Longer passwords and special characters please. Maybe consider MFA?

That point has been made many, many times over the years. I am not aware that Virgin Media have ever made any formal response.

In my view it's not just an issue of password strength (or lack of). The password reset option seems to lack sufficient checks to ensure that it is the account holder making the change. Remember,  once you regain access to your hacked account you must also change your security questions and answers in your "My Virgin Media" account.  Just changing your password is not enough!

The VM 'free' email service is a pretty basic offering in many respects.To be honest, if you are concerned about security (and we all should be!) then you need to move to a more secure email service, which offers multifactor authentication. At the very least use a more secure non VM email address in conjunction with your financially sensitive online accounts such as Amazon, eBay etc.

The other fact to consider is that if / when you change broadband provider you will lose your VM email accounts after 90 days. Moving to an no ISP email provider will not offer improved security but will also future proof your email account.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

deaton
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, agreed. It would be nice to be able to get back in 🙂
0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@deaton wrote:
Yes, agreed. It would be nice to be able to get back in

One of the Forum team (VM employees) should pick up this thread soon and contact you via this thread. They will take your details by private message (PM) and arrange for your account to be reset.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @deaton

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I'm going to private message you now to have a look further into this issue, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos