cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from Virgin - genuine or not?

softcentre
Joining in

I received this email. I think it is genuine but could someone pls confirm. (I have deleted my ac no and name from the email pasted below.

Thanks in advance

Your Virgin Media Account number: 
Our reference: VMIS158-SUSPICIOUS_ACTIVITY-F009310760

A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware

Dear Mr 

You have received this email as one or more of your Virgin Media mailboxes has recently been locked due to suspicious activity being detected.

It is important that you:

a. Do a full virus scan on your device with up-to-date anti-virus software
b. Reset your password to something new, unique to this account and secure.

After resetting your password, your mailbox will automatically be unlocked after 15 minutes.

Please ensure that the above points have been completed to prevent your mailbox from being locked again.

More help and support

For extra advice, or to double-check that this is a genuine Virgin Media communication, head to our community at virginmedia.com/community, click 'Help forum' and join the conversation on the Security Matters board.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

5 REPLIES 5

jrh
Tuning in

I have a similar email.

I am convinced that it is genuine - there are lots of instances in this forum. There is also an advice document at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/malware-alert.

My own difficulty is in trying to identify which mailbox and what behaviour has provoked the issue.

Thanks a lot for replying. Similar to you I can't fathom which of my devices may have caused this to happen

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi softcentre, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

I can confirm the email is from ourselves and has been sent to ensure you account with us remains secure. 

We would recommend following the steps detailed in the email and do please also make sure you have completed virus scans on all devices carrying your account. 

Thank you 

Nat

eddieclayton
Just joined

It would be a big help if Virgin media identified which device is giving problems it could be one of three pc's or 2 or 3 iphones.

Why not say

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@eddieclayton wrote:

Why not say

Such identifying data is not there for them to say though in some instances dependent on the type of issue other data might leak which may help identify the type of device involved.

FYI your Hub uses Network Address Translation (NAT) to allow devices on your home network to share the single public IP Address that is assigned to it for transmitting / receiving traffic over the internet; third-parties that report malicious network traffic to Virgin Media only see your public IP Address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks