cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email address

John2021
On our wavelength

Can someone please tell me if the email I got from virgin is genuine , it says that some strange activity has happened on an email account and that they have shut it down and I need to request a generated password , is this true or a scam .

10 REPLIES 10

Omadawn
Up to speed

Probably a scam. Is there a link in the email which says something like ‘Click here to generate a new password’ or ‘Verify your account’? If there is then, yes it’s a scam and just delete it.

If you were to click on the link, it would take you to a webpage, which looks identical to the official VM site, but an examination of the address would show that it’s some random site in Russia etc. It asks you to enter details to ‘verify’ your identity and once done so will say ‘Thank you all is well now’, but the people running the site now have your details which you have kindly provided to them!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@John2021 wrote:

Can someone please tell me if the email I got from virgin is genuine , it says that some strange activity has happened on an email account and that they have shut it down and I need to request a generated password , is this true or a scam .

You asked the same question yesterday on another topic you posted, and were given some suggestions, but you haven't replied to that or provided any detailed information about the email you received.

You could copy/paste the email text on here but remove any of your personal info before posting or a screenshot with your personal information blanked out.

Your descriptions though do sound like a scam phishing attempt to steal your login info.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi John2021, thanks for posting on our help forum page regarding this issue.

Sorry to see you've received an email from our Security team to advise we've locked an email account due to suspicious activity, we can advise this does sound legit.

Just to be 100% sure, could you please confirm which email you've received this from and if there's a prompt to follow a link included in the email at all?
Also, we could tell more if you could provide a screenshot here - just see that your personal info is not visible as you'd post this publicly.

In general we advise that we do occasionally send this communication to our email customers when we detect spam emails sent out and other suspicious activities, to ensure we keep your data secure at all times.

We'd normally advise on the steps to follow online so you can reset the password to a new and secure one that meets our requirements - it's also important to ensure this will be a brand new password never used on the account before

You can safely log on via self-care options (MyVM online or MyVM App) and follow the steps to reset the password for this account, however please let us know more details about the email first so we can confirm before you action this.

Cheers,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

John2021
On our wavelength

Your Virgin Media Account number: 
Our reference: VMIS159-SUSPICIOUS_ACTIVITY-F010813244

Your Virgin Media email account may be compromised and you need to take action

Dear Mr Williamson,

You have received this email as one or more of your Virgin Media mailboxes has recently been locked due to suspicious activity being detected.

It is important that you:

a. Do a full virus scan on your device with up-to-date anti-virus software
b. Reset your MyVM password to something new, unique to this account and secure.
c. To unlock your mailbox, please go to Account settings. Then click the Virgin Media Mail settings tile. Next, click Generate new App password. Your account should then be accessible
d. If using an email client, ensure you update the settings with the new App Password
e. If you notice any suspicious activity or have any concerns about your primary mailbox or additional mailboxes, please contact us at abuse@virginmedia.com

After resetting your password, your mailbox will automatically be unlocked after 15 minutes.

Please ensure that the above points have been completed to prevent your mailbox from being locked again.

More help and support

For extra advice, or to double-check that this is a genuine Virgin Media communication, head to our community at virginmedia.com/community, click 'Help forum' and join the conversation on the Security Matters board.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

Please do not reply to this email.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Great! Thanks for confirming and for providing this info, John2021.

We can confirm it's genuine, could you please follow the steps to reset your email password and let us know if this works for you?

Adri
Forum Team

John2021
On our wavelength

Many thanks , not certain I want the email back , had loads of problems a few years back because with that one and another that I had under ntl , virgin had to rebuild one (missing parts , all above me ) and the other one was deleted , they eventually re instated both , but then had further problems , might get it back and then delete it .

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, John2021.

We can assist with deleting an account if it's a VM email service, however, if you happen to use this email as your username for MyVM online, we'd first need to recover the account and then set another email address as your username so we can have it deleted.

Let us know how it goes with changing your password and if you need more help with the above.
Regards,

Adri
Forum Team

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Leaving a VM email account 'in limbo', where you have no access to/control over it, is not a good idea IMHO.

The forums have been full, in recent months, of (former) customers with dormant (former) email accounts, which should have been deleted by VM, where the account has been taken over by scammers.

If you have rescued any info from the account, and are no longer going to use it, then getting VM to delete it would be your best option, I would suggest.

John2021
On our wavelength

Given I am a bit thick on these matters , I have generated what was called a third party password , hope I have done the correct thing .