cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email account possibly hacked

MikeBrightmore
Joining in

When I recently logged into my email account via the VM website [MOD EDIT: Email address removed] all the folders were empty (inbox, sent items etc.) and I could not send or receive emails. When I logged in using Outlook the same occurred. People in my contact list have since been receiving emails from my account asking them to purchase Google Play vouchers for me. The reply email address had been to a Hotmail account in my name which I know nothing about. I have McAfee virus protection. I have reported this to VM and await their reply. Has anyone else experienced anything similar recently? I have been with VM forever but have signed into this community with my Gmail account so I am able to receive any replies.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello MikeBrightmore.

Sorry to hear this has happened.

Have you ran a virus scan on the devices that you have used to access your email account?

We would also advise to follow the help here 

Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello MikeBrightmore.

Sorry to hear this has happened.

Have you ran a virus scan on the devices that you have used to access your email account?

We would also advise to follow the help here 

Gareth_L

@MikeBrightmore now what has happen is that someone has either worked out what your VM email password is or it has been revealed in a data leak from a third party (and you do have completely different passwords for every single online service you use - don’t you?) along with your email address. Armed with that they have logged into your VM webmail, setup forwarders, deleted all the mail within it (a particularly stupid thing to do IMHO as that has just alerted you to what has happened) and changed the password on it.

So first thing is to regain control on the email account by trying to log into the webmail portal and follow the forgotten my password options. Once back in then check for any email forwarders and delete them.

Thanks Gareth_L. I have run several scans with McAfee on my devices but nothing came to light. IU have followed all the advice on MyVM and changed my password several times but still cannot get into my email. I have just noticed that a Hotmail address in my name had been put in the 'Auto Forward' section (I don't have a Hotmail account) so I deleted that.

Thanks VIP. I have used 'forgotten password' several times but always get back to an empty unresponsive account. I have just noticed that a Hotmail account in my name had been put in the email forward section so I have deleted that.

Hi Mike, thank you for coming back to us! 

Sorry to hear you are still without access to the email account. Usually in these instances doing a complete anti-virus scan across all devices associated with the account, and completing the 'forgotten password' link should allow you to regain access to the account. Once regaining access we also recommend updating your 'memorable questions' and 'memorable word' for additional security. As you are still having difficulties accessing the account it will be best if we send you a PM to confirm a few additional details so we can offer further support. 

You will find the PM in the top right corner of the page, in your Inbox. 

We can return to this public thread with an update as soon as possible. 

All the best! 

Molly