Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Email account locked for over a month, getting little help from contact centre

Help...my mother-in-law received an email from VM explaining that her account may have been compromised, and therefore the account has been locked.

She tried to reset her password, but the process doesn’t like her security answers.  She has then call the VW contact centre on numerous occasions with each agent guaranteeing to sort this, but so far over a month later, and it’s still not sorted.

She has her account number and area ref and also the amount of the latest bill, however the final two questions are....

“What is the date of your latest bill?”  Don’t know as she has paperless billing so comes via email. ”What is the name of you package?”  Don’t know as package is from about 15yrs ago.

She is then told that without this info, they cannot help.  So currently she is paying for a service she cannot use..can anyone help????.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email account locked for over a month, getting little help from contact centre

Hi, this is the best place to come for this kind of problem. While waiting for a Forum Team member (VM employee) with the appropriate skills and access to attend this thread, you should get your mother-in-law to join the forum and post a message in this thread.  Although it is good of you to assist, they will need to do this with the account holder herself.

She can use any email address to do so, it is not limited to VM email addresses or VM customers.  Don't post any personal information in the open forum.  The Forum Team member will do that via private message.  It may be a day or two as things are so busy, but they know what to do!

When they have sorted out the access, I recommend you and she check all her security settings etc, here is the VM help page:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-compromised-mailbox-alert

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

Best wishes!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email account locked for over a month, getting little help from contact centre

Many thanks for the hasty response.

Unfortunately I manage her VM account on her behalf as it is all a bit overwhelming for her to understand what is required, however we have tried from a different machine and even tried resetting her password, however the process does not accept her security answers which we have tried in numerous formats.  Having been on the phone to VM, it seems they have locked the account for security reasons, but due to not knowing her billing date because the bills are sent via email, and also her package name as it was purchase over 15 years ago, VM a will not unlock her account.

We are at a complete loss of what to do next.... 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi RichieCos UK, 

Thank you for getting in touch. 

MissPasko is correct that we would need to speak to the account holder in regards to the email but I appreciate that she may find the forums overwhelming. 

Without wanting to sound rude, how is she with texting? Would she be able to text our team to run through some details? 

Thank you 

Nat
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nat

Many thanks for the response.  

She would be fine texting or if she could be contacted by phone so long as things don’t get too technical.  She would appreciate any help she could get as she just seems to be going around in circle when contacting the call centre and I can’t seem to find any other solution online....I would class myself as tech savvy.

Regards

Rich

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for your response, RichieCosUK,

I would advise to begin with texting if possible as clearing data protection would be the first thing that needs to be sorted. Hopefully there isn't much technical work that's required for her to do, as it sounds like you've done all you an to help and on different machines, so this may very well be something occurring on the backend with the mailbox, but that's just a theory. But let's start with texting so that any work that needs to be done with her account we can have the account holder's consent. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Corey C

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks

What number does she need to text?  Please bear in mind that she does not remember the actual name of the package she is on and also does know her billing date as this comes via email.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No worries, RichieCosUK,

The number to text is: 0753 305 1809, she would not have to ask other questions unless she is unable to answer the security question.

Cheers,

Corey C

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks all, I have passed this info on to her. I’ll await to hear how she gets on.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@RichieCosUK wrote:

Hi Nat

Many thanks for the response.  

She would be fine texting or if she could be contacted by phone so long as things don’t get too technical.  She would appreciate any help she could get as she just seems to be going around in circle when contacting the call centre and I can’t seem to find any other solution online....I would class myself as tech savvy.

Regards

Rich

You may be tech savvy, but you need the assistance of VM staff to unlock the address.  So she/you have already contacted VM call centre.  Here is a thread from someone in the same position as your MIL.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Issue-with-ntlworld-email/td-p/4224304/

He/she was told by front line support that there was a "server issue" and it would resolve itself.  As if!  They just say that to get the caller off the line and go away.

If your MIL gets any such baloney from the text or phone support CS rep, do come back to the forum where the staff members have the skills and access required.  You can help her with the forum.  She doesn't have to be alone in the room!

Kind regards, Miss Pasko

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks