Menu
ChrisG55
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Email Spambot alert letter

Hello,

We have just received a letter from Virgin Media Internet Security saying "A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware" and "We've been notified that spam emails are coming from a device using your internet connection".

We have five  devices in the house that are currently connected to our Virgin Wifi router.

These are ones that are a Windows 10 PC, two Windows 10 laptops, an iPad and an iPhone.  The iPad and iPhone do not have anti-virus. I  am given to understand that they don't need it.  The Windows 10 machines have up to date anti-virus installed. Scans show no sign of infection.

The letter says that "if you don't get this fixed "we may need to suspend or cancel your your broadband service".

Apart from running anti-virus scans I don't know what we can do to fix this.  I am terrified that we will lose our internet connection.  How long have we got to sort this out before we do lose it? I have found an article on these forums called "Searching for Spambots on your network" but the procedure it outlines is way to technical for us.  

Please advise.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Spambot alert letter

Hello

Here is an excellent post of how to find / destroy spambots https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello ChrisG55

Can you please let us know how things are once you have followed the advice given by @DJ_Shadow1966 ^GT

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Last paragraph of initial post mentions the Search for Spambots on your network post and that it is “way to” technical.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

ChrisG55
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

I think we may have solved the problem.

Multiple different virus scans on our three windows 10 PC's found nothing.  But..

My research found that Our Amazon TV firestick could be hacked ("disturbingly simple" to do apparently).

My Father had previously "jailbroke" our firestick to get free (Kodi?) television.  This leaves the firestick vulnerable to hacking and has been implicated in Spambot problems. The solution is simple and can be found with an on-line search.  It involves disabling something called "ADB debugging", which is found in "Developer Options" from "Settings".

Should we now reply to the Virgin Media Internet Security letter with this info?  (My father thinks we should, I don't).

How do we find out if we have solved the problem?  Do we just wait and see if our Internet is turned off or not?

Thanks for any replies.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi ChrisG55

Thanks for posting. As long as you've followed the advice on the letter and all sorted, then please don't worry 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As well as disabling ADB Debugging remember you will have to reset your Firestick to Default Settings: https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-reset-amazon-fire-stick?r=US&IR=T

Check if you have installed the Hola Free VPN. If you have, remove it. It's not a real VPN and is open to abuse.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.