Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Email Hacked

On Friday evening my Virgin Media email was hacked. I first noticed when I couldn't get access to my emails, but putting it down to poor wifi signal, it didn't concern me until my son's Xbox account failed to connect.

Further digging (resetting password using backup email) and we've noticed that £140 has been spent on the Microsoft Store using the attached debit card and PayPal account. As my email was compromised, I wasnt getting the usual email notifications of purchases.

I am now locked out my VM account without means of resetting my password as it appears my security question answers have been changed also. To add to the pain, I haven't had a paper bill in years therefore dont know my account number.

PayPal and bank details have been cancelled and changed, but I'm looking for guidance on how to regain control of my account before more damage is done.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email Hacked

Sorry to read that.

Without the account number using the password reset process is complicated. The VM Forum Team should be able to help via a private message exchange.

I have escalated this thread for their attention, but being a Sunday evening they are unlikely to pick this up before tomorrow.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Graham, thanks for the quick response.

I have read previous threads that say the hackers go to the extent of changing security question answers to add to the level of effort required to regain control of your account.

I've got previous billing dates, evidence of recent payments to VM, but not all the criteria required to manually change the password myself.

I can only sit with my fingers crossed that they don't do too much damage to any other accounts associated to my VM email whilst I await a response. I have no means of locking it down in the meantime as the text service is pointless as I'm stuck in a continuous loop.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @lbrown2312 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your account. 

I would be more than happy to assist you further with this, I am going to drop you a PM so that we can try and locate your account. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos