Menu
VW2
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Email Hacked

• I've been using an email address attached to my old VM account for 15 years with no problems until recently when someone hacked into it.  I can't log in to change the password and VM helpdesk tell me that the email address isn't registered on their database so they can't deactivate it.  All my personal data has been taken and online shopping accounts hacked. I've reported to Action Fraud, banks etc. As well as registering with CIFAS, but Virgin Media have been no help and actually hung up on me at the weekend.  I've now got no access to the email address as the hacker has locked me out so I don't know what they're up to, but I'm so scared of the consequences and I don't know what else to do.  Please can someone advise or direct me, please.
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Hacked

Hello

If you wait for a VM staff member to pick up the post they will arrange to get the account deleted, this would be under the orphaned account, which basically means that old accounts that are not assigned to a current broadband account, normally would have been deleted after 90 days from account closure.

See :- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073 and https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Closure-of-former-customer-email-accounts/m-p/4092021

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
VW2
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much Mike, I just hope a VM staff member sees this or the report I submitted, as I can't get anywhere with calling the helpline.

If I posted twice I apologise - I've never had to do this before!

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Yeah I know the helpdesk by calling in cannot help as old account, but a VM staff member will help get it deleted.

Mike

39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
VW2
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thanks Mike.  Would it help to flag my message?  I'm desperate to get this deleted as soon as possible!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @VW2

Worry not - we have seen your thread and we're here to help 🙂 

As @DJ_Shadow1966 advised, we can delete an old email address that is linked to an orphaned account. 

I'll pop you a Private Message so we can take some information from you and go from there. 

Please look out for the Purple Envelope and pop me a reply when you can. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos